Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Front is nearly complete . The only thing left is the castor arm bushes which I might replace with 105 series ball joint as i have in the 3.2 . They are none available here at the moment so I will probably use the ones i have from superflex. Any one out there have experience with these ?
All fuel hosing has been replaced including the one from the tank to the filter. This particular pipe has always given me problems on all the GTV's due to its age(15-20yrs) and the 180 degree bend. Got some braded fuel hose with a spring inside to stop it from collapsing.
Attachments
Img_2229.jpg
Img_2229.jpg (106.58 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just two pics of putting the windscreens back in. Very important is to check before you take them out is for any chips. If you have like I did you must get them drilled and sealed(glued). If you dont that tiny chip will run into a huge crack as you remove the windscreen.(done that before). First pic shows how you loop the nylon rope on all for sides so when you lie the windscreen down9on the car) and press ,you slowly pull from the loops.
Attachments
Img_2222.jpg
Img_2222.jpg (105.01 KiB) Viewed 9699 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Pushing down on screen and pulling rope out. Sometimes the rubber does not always come out so you have use small screwdriver to help wedge along the way.
Attachments
Img_2224.jpg
Img_2224.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Side view of the car showing how the widened rims fill the arches and thankgoodness clearing the calipers.
Attachments
Img_2250.jpg
Img_2250.jpg (94.33 KiB) Viewed 9695 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

As mentioned earlier in this series you cannot use rims that are not from the car so thats why the origionality has to be kept.
This car will be set up as a dedicated track car BUT it will also be roadwothy so it can be driven to the track. I know I can cut major weight out but that will start slowly through the season. If im getting lapped by the Suds then its time for a bigger engine to replace the lack of driving skills.
pic of the 3.7 in progress.
Attachments
Img_2246.jpg
Img_2246.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

:roll:
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Car is complete and ready to race. Will post pics from the next race. The standard 2.5 motor will stay in until it destructs. hopefully not soon. Then maybe a 24v will go in. Any it was a fun project .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Well, car was complete but no where near ready to race. There were a lot of small things in the rules that are time consuming to do such as
1) drill and wire sump and gearbox drain plugs(sides of it)
2) wire oil fillercap, dipstick and oil filter(hose clamp it and wire)
3) add over flow bottle (1 litre)for water bottle to catch any spillage
4) Must have external and internal cut off switches
All the main things such as six point roll cage with correct mounting points(5mm plates welded to chassis, 8mm bolts etc), FIA race seat on origional points, safety harness at max 15degree angle mounts, fire extinguisher and safety stickers have been done.
Will post some pics of these "chores" but starting with cage first.
Firstly this cage adds nothing to the car (in terms rigidity) other than fulfill a requirement. Any way it turned out well and can be removed in five minutes. I designed it so it could be used in my other road GTv's without having to rearrange the furniture(all seats in and working sun visor). Only six brackets welded to the chassis, with nuts welded to the back off them are necessary. Here some pics of the process.
Attachments
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2318.JPG (100.32 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

mid mount
Attachments
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG (100.61 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

acid wash, add powder and bake.
Attachments
IMG_2343.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG (87.51 KiB) Viewed 9269 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

One powder coated cage assemled next to raw one in its pieces(make sense). Mats you been very quiet. Im sure you dont know where to begin (he he) but i am looking for comments.
Attachments
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG (151.2 KiB) Viewed 9265 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin,

You seem to be seeking some feedback so on the basis of the invitation..

Couple of things about the main hoop (your so called mid mount)

1 The mounting position is fairly useless on crush because the section you have placed it upon has very little guts to support it. Have a look at the rear of the crossmember and see. You need to fabricate a baseplate that takes the sill section into account.
2 The main hoop is usually required to be of larger wall thickness or larger diameter than the other sections. I cannot tell the thickness but the OD size seems to be the same.
3 As for the bracing qualities of the design, well where do I start?
As you say, this set up seems more cosmetic than anything else to me.

See pic for main hoop base detail. Sorry about the quality. Note the engagement of the two safety belt anchors. The cage is removable by undoing a 16mm high tensile bolt clamping it together from underneath. The nut that it bolts into is held captive within the base of the tube.
Attachments
Main Hoop Base Anchor Brkt.jpg
Main Hoop Base Anchor Brkt.jpg (132.22 KiB) Viewed 9250 times
Main Hoop Base Bracket.jpg
Main Hoop Base Bracket.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Well, If you don't have anything nice to say...

I'm KIDDING! Kidding, put the knife away man. :shock: :)

I'm just lurking since I only give negative feedback and never ever positive. :lol:

Just a side note as MD brought it up, I wasn't going to comment since all cage rules seems to have been written by wanna-be-engineers on crystal meth and they are all different in different parts of the world. :roll:

How often have you ever seen a racing car take a big load on the roof? I can't remember more then maybe two times and they were both freak accidents. As a contrast, how often do you see the main hoop thae a big hit from the side? More often then you can count I'd say.
Now, I don't see a pipe going across the car between the main hoop mounting points on the two designs in Kevin or MDs posts, that is a bit strange considered the potential crash energy going into the drivers pelvis and torso instead of the pipe... :shock:
And MD, that design looks a bit scary too, that bolt would shear off instantly even if that open walled bracket would actually take the load without buckling, Kevins design looks much better in that aspect. A closed box on the sill would naturally be the best option but I think you have your reasons for the designs you have. Street legal cars no doubt?

Kevin, I'm sure the car will be a beast! 3.7 and that chassis and breaks is going to be lovely. :D
Is that Silverstone tires?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks for feedback. There is a 5mm plate welded to the mid section but your are right it is pretty useless unless it is wrapped around and strenghened up. Come to think of it all the slip joint connections are useless because the connections use two 6mm bolts.Not so good in tension I will take pics of this to show more clearly. Basically at this stage Im just trying to pass scrutineering and get my log book stamped and then the engine transplant will take place. When this happens I will weld the slip joint and make it a lot more effective. Mats have you got a pic of the brace you are talking about or draw it. Thanks.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I got more then a pic of that brace, I got pics from the FIA tech papers on how to design bolt joints and body attachment points.

This is the brace across the car I'm referring to

This is the minimum rules for slipjoint bolts

Notice the reinforcement so that you will not crush the inner pipe with the bolt clamping force.

Reinforcements for body connecting points and design solutions for "boxes".

So you weren't even going to put bolts through the slip joints? :shock:
Now that's what I call a no-fear attitude...
Last edited by Mats on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!