Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Gear Shift Mechinism

Post by Terry Johnston »

I am trying to determine if my gear shift is for the isolastic linkage or for the older linkage. The car is an 83 but I put an APE sourced modified isolastic linkage in-essentially a shortened milano linkage. I did not do the work so don't know if the shifter came with the kit or not. My shifter has a bushing on the shifter and the linkage rod has a fork that an 8 mm bolt goes through that secures the rod to the shifter. Did not the non isolastic shifter have the fork on the shifter and the bushing on the linkage rod? Reason I am asking is that someone sells a bushing replacement that utilizes needle bearings that eliminate the rattle but it only fits on the isolastic shifter. Terry Johnston
Terry
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Terry,

I've just finished fitting a 75 (milano) iso linkage transaxle to my 84 GTV6 non iso. Both have the bush on the shifter and the fork on the linkage. The 75 and GTV6 iso linkages have a 6mm bolt and the GTV6 non iso an 8mm bolt.

The fork is also wider on the iso linkage so the bushes are not interchangable.

The quickest way to check yours would be to measure the width of the fork. I just measured the non iso and it is about 23mm measured from the outside edges. I haven't measured the iso fork as its now on the car with a new boot over it, but I think it would be about 30mm.

The bottom end of the shifter is longer as well on the iso transaxles so the shifters are not interchangable either. Maybe the modified kit on yours takes this into account.

I shortened the 75 linkage and used the 75 shifter.

The higher 1st and 2nd really suit the 3.0L motor better. Now for the speedo......

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red