zambon
Verde
Verde

Rebuilt trans wont go into 3,4,5,R

Post by zambon »

Just rebuilt my second verde trans. Got it back in the car and it will not go into gears 3,4,5, or R. I dont think anything is obstructing the exterior linkage, so I am guessing one of the forks is not residing on its slider/ ring gear/ synchro ring.
I could have messed up on the reverse idler gear and fork. I was very tired by the time I got to that point. Could that create these problems?

Thanks for any and all help
James
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Isostatic linkage right? A Verde is a 75 as I understand it. :?

It is very easy to mess up if you get anything a little wrong when you put the linkage back together, or did you remove it whole from the selector shaft?

Does the stick move in the gate or is it impossible to move the stick into neutral between 3-4 and 5-R?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I did remove it whole from the selecter shaft.
It will move in neutral over to 3 and 4 position, but it will not even move slightly forward or backward.
Verde is a 3l alfa 75 with isostatic linkage...
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Zambon unfortunately I have bad news for you - maybe. :( I went through the same experience when I rebuilt my transaxle and it was in fact the fork on the reverse gear which went together mis -alligned.Only option is to pull the gearset and re-assemble.Get a bright light(assuming your doing it in the car ?) and work really slowly.It helps to have two people, one to manipulate the gearset back in and one to watch that the fork/gear slides together correctly.Good luck.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I guess I will have to get dirty again then.
Thanks for the advice Murray. I was second guessing it a little, but that is the simplest explaination so I will have to crack open the case to find out.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

looked inside gearbox and yes! fork was disconnected from the slider. It was not the reverse gear that was off, however, it was the slider for 5th. while paying attention to the reverse gear, I let the fork fall off of 5th. Now that it is back together, shifting is super duty tough nice. New synchros are all that...too bad I have a new driveshaft viberation :( I will start a new thread about that if I cant find the info through searches.
thanks for the help everybody.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Zambon it sounds as if your following the same path as I did :evil: Did you remove your driveshaft completely when you did the transmission or did you simply disconnect it at the clutch yolk ? If its the former then the possibilities are many.If it the latter then you may have mixed up the nuts and bolts and washers when reassembling (the fastener assemblies are different weights and part of the factory balancing process).What I did,after wasting a lot of time trying other methods,was smooth out the balance with hose clamps.Run a screwdriver against the middle of the rear rotating driveshaft section(extreme caution is required).this can be done at idle in neutral.The screwdriver will leave scratches on the surface of the driveshaft which will be most pronounced on the "heaviest"side of the shaft.Install your hoseclamps with the the screw (heaviest side) 180 deg.from these scratches.I ended up using 3 clamps to get enough weight.Make sure that the clamps are positioned such that they don't rub against anything under there -shift rod,driveshaft tunnel etc.Ah the joys of Alfa ownership :twisted: I wouldn't trade it for anything.We must be really sick people.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Murray,
We are sick people :oops: I think my alfas have sensed that my vw is in heaven and that I am now relying on them for transport. They have been acting quite finicky lately...
Anyway, I disconnected the shaft only at the cluch yoke (thankfully).
I crawled under the car to see if I could rotate the shaft 120 deg without removing the donut. That didnt work, so I reconnected it the way it was before and what do you know...vibration solved!!!
I must have had the donut mounted off center some how. I am not sure if that is even possible but I cant conceve of anything else to explain it. It was not washer configuration. I have only one washer on each bolt.
I now have a metalic whine from the shaft. It sounds almost like a muted version of the turbo noise from my old 86 volvo wagon. I also have a clutch rattle when in neutral with the clutch out. I am hopeing that they are both the same foul bearing.
I didnt pack the rear donut with grease when I re installed it so that could be it too.
The whine only occurs under load.
Thoughts anyone?
James
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

i have tactic for asemble drive shaft ...(since one day my alfa ended with earthquake like vibratons :lol:)
put everithing in place and loose all bolts on:
1 driveshaft donuts
2 engine mounts both side and rear ones
3 drive shaft suport bearing
4 front dedion support bolts
its important to loose bolts slightly !!
then start engine and revv it slightly in neutral ... tughten engine mounths ...revv it again .... dedion ....revv ...suport bearing ...revv ...donuts ... thats all it looks mad work but i think this is the way to evade some incorect install problems :D