matt
Platinum
Platinum

Clutch abnormality?

Post by matt »

Hi all i have a question regarding the clutch assembly spacer, history is rear "bearing noise" sounded like the clutch support bearing. So i took the clutch assembly out yesterday and replaced the clutch support bearings but the 'spacer" between them isn't shown in the haynes manual, i've got an '83 2.0ltr gtv, could this be a milano/75 clutch assembly? If so i'm not sure this spacer will "work" in the clutch housing i've got because the front support bearing can be driven out forwards and there's no seat for the front bearing, just an o ring, but no base/seat for the bearing. So if i tap the new front bearing in to sit on this spacer will the spacer stay in place or after some time could the front bearing move a little and allow the spacer to be free and possibly hit the clutch shaft? Maybe this was the noise i could hear to start with????
Any ideas?
thanks matt
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

found answer and my clutch assembly appears to be normal even though its a bit of a combination of the two different types- front clutch assembly support bearing same as later model ones but rear support bearing same as early type of clutch assembly.....weird......see pics alfa must have changed clutch assembly in early '80 s at some stage
old:(front bearing has a seat and no spacer)
new:(no seat front bearing, just o ring, has spacer between frt & rear bearings, threaded ring nuts to secure rear bearing)