Murray
Verde
Verde

Driveshaft components - critical ?

Post by Murray »

I've just removed the driveshaft on my 86 GTV6 and upon inspection I've noticed that I'm missing a part which is illustrated in the shop manual image attached.The interior bore of the front donut is a little chewed up and I wonder if this due to this "protective rubber cap" being absent.Does this thing simply keep dirt out of the spherical bushing or does it also have a mechanical function ? Do you know if these things are available ? I've had minor driveline vibration in the past and intend to rid my car of this annoyance once and for all by having the shaft balanced and reassembling to spec.
Attachments
FRONTCAP.jpg
FRONTCAP.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Murray,

When I took my driveshaft out I didn't see any bushing like this either. The shaft in the picture must be from an earlier non V6 model maybe because I don't see the yoke... or is it there?? The 2 GTV6s I have worked on the shaft had yokes.

It doesn't seem to be an important component but since you are at it why not do it properly.

Somebody with more experience might help here.

Petros.
Alfisto Steve
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfisto Steve »

Front grease seal is 60522064 (IAP 29754) still available is item 2 in picture. Item 3 is spherical bearing that slips into flywheel.

Same on GTV6 except GTV6 front driveshaft has a removable spline front yoke. Mark it before you take it apart if you do. Same with mid spline for center yoke.

If driveshaft out of balance be sure all three spherical bearings in good shape. Rear mid and rear ones item 11 same part number. Front one different. Do not break them they are expensive.
Attachments
Milano driveshaft exploded view
Milano driveshaft exploded view
Milano driveshaft.png (15.47 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
Alfisto Steve
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks Steve I'll order one.I presume that the spherical bearing's condition can be verified visually.If they freely and smoothly rotate they are still good ? By the way I thought I had a complete shop manual but couldn't find an exploded view of the shaft like you supplied.What section is it in ? I can't fully get my head around what function these bearings perform.If the Guibo is firmly clamped to the flywheel in the front or the clutch yoke in the rear why is there a bearing ?
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Alfisto Steve
Silver
Silver

Driveshaft picture

Post by Alfisto Steve »

This picture I posted of drive shaft parts breakdown is from Alfa parts CD not shop manual. It is actually for the 75 (Milano) as that is oldest model on parts CD.

Part numbers are the same for GTV6 though except for front shaft as GTV6 one has a spliced coupling that Milano does not have.

As for the three spherical bearings they are centering bearings to keep drive shaft running true. Without them or if one is damaged drive shaft donuts would have a tendency to not stay round under high RPM due to centrifugal force.
Alfisto Steve