Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ok, snapped some pics today...

Thats the good stuff! :twisted:
Last edited by Mats on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Two days and not even a comment, that's unusual... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

Mats we are all green with envy :wink:

I always liked that little red bugger. From what i hear the engine doesnt have many mods. You cant let it stay like that can you!? What are you going to do to it, TS, Turbo, c'mon tell tell!
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, next years mods include new crank seals, front and rear... :wink:
No engine mods planned actually, I need to stay in my class.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

What!?

Post by junglejustice »

Still allergic to the V6 Mats...? :D

So, we just ordered two shift-kits from Alex Jupe... (Reduces the 1-2 throw by 22mm from 90mm to 68mm...) and gives it a more positive feel. Dunno.We'll see. 150 UK funny money plus shipping...

Nice guy too.

We'll re-bush the isostatic linkages at the back, lighten the gears (ALL of them) by back-cutting and shot-peening, new syncros and pray to the Alfa Gods....
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Well, if someone gave me one of those puppies I'd give it a good home but I need to be able to buy tires, fuel and pay for transports and fees too...
Racing is fricken expensive and the hardwares are mostly not the expensive parts.

Be sure to post feedback on those shifter kits, jj!
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Post by Plastic Pig »

Mats wrote: Be sure to post feedback on those shifter kits, jj!
I can do that: I have one on my GTV6. Mine still needs to be adjusted to make it easier to reach (the seat is further back than usual as I'm over 6 feet tall). However, the throw is much shorter and the change is more precise, though the latter could be because the linkage has recently been rebuilt.

It's certainly much better than before and much better than on my 75 (which, for a 75, is pretty good).

See www.alexjupemotorsport.co.uk .
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I could not find how the kit looks like? Did you extend the shaft below the shifter's pivot point ? That would shorten the throws.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Tnx, Plastic Pig.

Zamani, yes lenghtwise thet is true but it will be the same side-to-side. I have this on my car and I don't care about the little longer strokes with my long gear lever.
I bet one won't change gear faster if you reduce the storke 50%... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Hugo
Silver
Silver

Post by Hugo »

If I may add my tuppence to this thread. I found that having the prop shaft balanced made a sizeable difference to the quality of the change- and indeed the smoothness of the car generally. Other mods included having bronze bushes fitted.

I would also comment that at 6' 4" (195cm), I find that having a RHD makes it so much easier to heel and toe (there is more room for my size 45's). Indeed, for me, half the fun of the GTV6 is the fun of hearing the blips on down changes- such that I have never had a problem with down changes. For what it is worth I also had the pedals bent slightly so that there was a bit more room.

I have to say, however, that my experience is strictly limited to road driving. I also admit to the fact that I always treat the 1st to 2nd shift with extreme delicacy. So if there was a realistic solution that allowed one to slam it through, I would be interested to hear about it.

Hugo
RHD South African 3 Litre and LHD 156 2.4 GTD Sportswagen
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Say Junglejustis, maybe a few items that might be helpful. . .

Check out alfaracing@yahoogroups.com for some info on reducing the rotating mass of the driveline. Specifically a clutch assembly from Richard Jemison. A 4-puck affair of about 5.5" in diameter and I believe the necessary pressure plate and other components. Someone commented that while a little grabby, it was still quite streetable.

Here is a comment from Mike Cudahy who races a modified Alfetta in SCCA. "For those that are looking to spend some money to make their car faster, this modification was the most dramatic change I've made to the car in the five years that I've been modifying it. Richard's clutch assembly weighs 12 pounds from input shaft to release bearing, and is 5.5" in diameter. Compare this to the enormous 26.5 pound Milano clutch with the aluminum Porsche pressure plate, and you get a loss of 14.5 pounds of reciprocating mass.
That's freakin' huge, and the race proved it. My lap times improved by 2.5 seconds a lap, and the car felt completely different from the moment I hit the start button. Consequently, when you remove that much weight from the driveline, the car starts a lot easier."

I expect you've already lightened the front flywheel JJ.

Although maybe too new to go into production yet, there is Al Mitchel's carbon fiber drive shaft. See
http://www.realemotorsports.com/rd/winter04/cfshaft.jpg
and
http://www.realemotorsports.com/rd/wint ... shaft3.jpg

These improvements may not help the shift linkage itself, but I figure reducing the rotating inertia that much, the load on the synchros and ultimately the responsiveness of the shifting and drivline will be substantially improved.

What do you think ?

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Thanks Boss,

Post by junglejustice »

For alfaracing, that's an email... not a website...?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Just go to Yahoo! Groups and search for "alfaracing", dont' let the "@" confuse you jj.

-Brian
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Hi Guys!

You all have so much experience as I see, so probably you can help me.

My friend has a workshop with CNC machines, and a couple of weeks ago I gave him a set of syncro unit and asked him to manufacture some rings. The only thing we cannot deal with yet is material quality.

Do some of you know what kind of steel and heat treatment did Alfa use in their rings?

Or do you have any suggestion for material quality and heat treatment? The goal would be to fabricate better quality and longer lasting rings at first, and maybe sleeves and other parts later.

Does anyone have experience with titanium rings? Would the material's sliding properties cope with the original sleeves? This question is more theoretic since I do not know the price of titanium yet, but if it would work I would maybe go for it.

Any answers are welcome!
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Wow, what a project! I will copy your post to a friend of mine who is much more educated in metallurgy than I am and see what I can learn.

-Brian