doggone14
Silver
Silver

Clutch problem

Post by doggone14 »

My 83 GTV started right up after sitting all winter. But when I tried to put the car into car (any gear) all I got was grinding and no gear. The car goes into gear with the motor off, but if I try to start it in gear, the car moves on the starter motor with the clutch fully depressed. Even with the weather warming up, there has been no improvement in this situation. Any suggestions?
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

From your description it sound like either your clutch MC or SC have gone, typical after letting them sit for extended periods of no use.

Check the MC fluid resevoir. If it is empty or low check under the car.

If you have a puddle of hydraulic fluid under the car near the clutch it is most likely the SC.

Do not be concerned if the fluid in the MC resevoir is blackish, they all get that way, it is normal.

Sometimes you can get some 'action" by depressing the clutch pedal very quickly... then again... sometimes not! IF you can get the clutch to disengage by depressing the clutch quickly but not if you do it slowly it is the MC.

IAP sell rebuild kits, some as low as US$10 depending on the manufacturer of your MC/SC. Inspection of the MC bore will dictate whether or not you can use a kit or need to purchase a new MC.

Good luck!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Could also be sticky clutch plate...

How does the pedal feel? Like normal or light? Different feel if you depress the pedal slow or fast?
Any leakage?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Reale
Gold
Gold

Clutch

Post by Reale »

Sounds like sticky clutch.
The clutch pack will frequently "stick" together after sitting for a long time. I have found this on multiple Alfettas and GTV6's.
Verify that the clutch arm is moving by feeling the rubber boot while someone steps on the clutch (or looking at it if your boot is gone.
If the arm moves then your clutchpack is sticky with rust, and you should do this:
1) Chock the wheels, or push the car flush up against something solid-a wall, not a garage door.
2) Put the car in gear. (If you back the car up against a wall, you can use reverse).
3) Step on the clutch.
4) Crank the starter.

-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

clutch

Post by MD »

Agree with Al's advice. Typically happens when the car has been sitting around and especially in humid conditions like during the wet season.
Another option is to jack the rear of the car up and place on stands. Fully engage the hand brake.Fire up engine in 1st gear or at least crank it around a few times. Should be enough to break the bind if you have a good hand brake.

Once the clutch seems free, take the car on the road and do a few 3000rpm take offs. That should sort it out.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Reale
Gold
Gold

Clutch

Post by Reale »

Heck, even if your clutch isn't sticky, do some 3000 RPM take offs!
Hee hee!
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
doggone14
Silver
Silver

Post by doggone14 »

Thanks for all the advice- once the rain stops, I will put these plans into action. I will be posting an update when I know more. And the 3 grand take offs are a given- nothing sounds like an Italian V6 :D
Reale
Gold
Gold

clutch

Post by Reale »

So, what was the verdict?
Did you get it going?
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6