Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Replacing Differential Output shaft bearings

Post by Michael »

One of my winter projects is to reseal the gearbox and replace as many of the bearings as possible. Check out this bearing - from EB spares. The new one is installed in the aluminium housing on the left, the old one is propped against the housing:
DiffOutputBearing.jpg
DiffOutputBearing.jpg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
The new bearing is sealed - the old one is open. The thing that concerns me now is that with the new bearing, the oil cannot migrate through to lubricate the seal.

Anyone run into this before? Is this a valid concern?

Also, (in case this helps someone) I was able to remove the bearing retaining ring (not pictured) using a Harbor Freight press and this 'Bearing Separator':
HarborFreightBearingSeparator.jpg
HarborFreightBearingSeparator.jpg (135.6 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
I had to modify it with a grinder in order for the separator to slip behind the retaining ring.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Replacing Differential Output shaft bearings

Post by Mats »

Never had that bit apart myself but you say there is a radial seal outside the bearing om the shaft?
If that is the case it will die a horribl dry death in about two minutes if you fit that sealed bearing. Ifyou do fit that bearing and decide to go without the radial seal you need to add some sealant like RTF or anaerob sealant on the shaftwhere the bearing inner ring sits. Ditto on the housing/outer ring of course. I would probably remove the seals on the bearing and run the factory design though.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Just pull the seals ou as mats suggested. SKF doesn't even sell some bearings without seals, cstwise it's better to kee them with seal in stock and let the customer remove the seals if not needed. :wink:

Strange that the suplier didn't tell you to remove the seals, the original oilseal in front of the bearing would indeed not be to happy without any kind of lubrication. :?
Drive it like you stole it...
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

OK thanks.
It was easy to remove the seals (not so easy to disassemble both shafts again to get at them though :| )
Michael
1981 GTV6