Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Speedo on GTV6

Post by Alfahannen »

Hi!

I have a GTV6-1983 with a Milano gearbox mounted. The speedo is as incorrect as a speedo can be, and as far as I can see, there has been no serious attempt to get the speedo to show correct after the gearbox switch. I have read a few lines about this problem, and about what has to be done to fix it but there are still questions that has to be answered. This is where I am today:

- GTV6-1983
- Milano Gearbox
- A non working speedo

I have the following stuff to fix the problem with:

- Speedo sender from a Milano
- The little amplifier from a Milano (the one located under the back seat)
- A speedo from a GTV6-1986

I think this will be enough if I just can wire it up properly but this is what I don't know anything about and need help with.

Please help!

/Jonas
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

Hello Alfahannen

check this
http://www.alfagtv6.com/transaxl.htm
Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfahannen »

Thanks!

This was the article I remember having read. It tells me the most, hopefully enough! I am also thinking of getting the wire set for the sender etc from a Milano to make it easier.

Does anyone have experience of the speedo- :evil: to share? I know for sure that a lot of you out there have/have had the same trouble as I have. How do you tackle it?

Regards,

Jonas
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

I had the same problem when I swapped the box with one from a 75 TS. Tried it with an '86 speedo and black box but it still didn't work.

Eventually Mike Halasz (MD on this forum) built me a converter and it now works perfectly with my '81 speedo. Send him an email.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

i installed the 75 internals in the GTV speedo.
Eventually Mike Halasz (MD on this forum) built me a converter and it now works perfectly with my '81 speedo. Send him an email
:idea: it's possible to have a layout of the converter?
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Send Mike an email and he will explain everything to you.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

I have a Milano gearbox on my '84 GTV6, and, obiously, my speedo doesn't work.
The thing is that I haven't got the amplifier, so I was thinking about looking for the wiring diagrams of the milano and GTV6 speedometers and build the right circuit to match (I don't have a milano speedo either).

Did anyone try this before?
Does anybody have those diagrams?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Vertikar
Silver
Silver

Post by Vertikar »

Hmm this has caught my attention too, because im looking at putting a 75 TS box into my 85 GTV...
Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfahannen »

The easiest solution is to mount a modified speedo from a Milano in the speedo-housing from a GTV6 and wire it up according to the Milano wiring scheme together with the black box and all. I know this will work, but it looks like shit, and I prefer to ride without speedo to have an ugly speedo that don't fit in in front of me. I won't give up until I have a solution to this problem, and for sure share with you all when I have come up with anything worth sharing.

/Jonas
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Thanks, Alfahannen

But in that case I 'd need also a diagram to replicate the amplifier, just because I'm not certain I could find a cheap one.

Send us any news about your mod ;D.
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfahannen »

Do you need an amplifier from a Milano? I found one for more or less nothing in one day. There are a lot of Milano-wrecks here in Sweden which makes it easier. Are you familiar with the Swedish language? If you are, then you could look in the adds, or search for one on the Swedish Alfa forum www.alfapower.nu

/Jonas
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Sorry, I can't speak swedish. I'll have a look and ask for an amplifier here around, let's see what happens.
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfahannen »

It is probably easier to find a Milano-wreck up north where rust is an Alfa's worst enemy, but you will most certainly find one anyway. Good luck!

/Jonas
Guran
Silver
Silver

Post by Guran »

Hi Jonas!

I have a schematic laying at home somewhere... Will try to find it for you!

/Gustav
Gustav Strandberg

GTV6 GP 2.5 '87 Street Car
GTV 2.0 '83 Race Car
GTV 2.0 '78 Junk
Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfahannen »

I am looking forward to hear from you in this matter Gustav. Alfa's man in Skövde with the beautiful Grand Prix............

/Jonas