rz
Platinum
Platinum

twin spark gearbox

Post by rz »

hello, what is the difference between a normal 3,0 12V gearbox and a twinspark box.
everybody wants one,but why??
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

TS.Gearbox has limited slip differential so that may or may not be something your box has.Also many find the gear ratios to provide better acceleration.I have an actual 75 TS and I would say that overall the box is more pleasant to use than the one in my 86-GTV6 .
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

If we are talking 75 boxes the actual ratios are the same but the final drive is 4.1 in the TS vs. 3.55 in the 3.0, both have LSD.
Clutch is different too.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Mats,
I just took my 75TS out of winter storage and took it for a ride.Man I love this gearbox.I think I'm going to have to plug one into my GTV6.Is it just the final drive that produces this different feeling ? It feels so much more "modern" than my GTV6 and somehow the throws don't seem to be as long-but I guess that's just my imagination - well better go out for another drive.
1986-GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Well compared to the GTV box there are some things that are changed, the first three gears are taller on the 75 box, there is an LSD and the gear linkage is different.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Mats,
When you say that the gear linkage is different are you referring to the external components ie:isostatic linkage.If so I'll have to crawl under there and have a look because the shifting sure feels more precise than on my 86 GTV6 and I have replaced all the isostatic parts on that one.I would rate the GTV6 shifting as acceptable but certainly not great.
1986-GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearbox

Post by MD »

When you can shift a 116 series like a 105 series you know you have reached the holy grail-you're cookin' with gas man!!

Until then it's just a wooden spoon in a jelly bucket.

(Let's not take ourselves too seriously guys.. :D )
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Stop rubbing it in MD and produce and market a kit ! You will have three sold :)
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Vertikar
Silver
Silver

Post by Vertikar »

Hmm, im going to be getting a 75 TS box in the next few weeks, i've got an '84 GTV, the only thing i've heard that is different is the speedo setup. can anyone elaborate on this for me?
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

How good is the Gear Box in a 2.5L Alfa 90?

Does anybody have the comparison between the mentioned TS Gear box and the 90?
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearbox

Post by MD »

ALFA GTV6 GP

You're right. I should pull my head in. You know, do a vanishing act like the turtle.

Asking me to do a kit is easy enough. What I find on this forum is that it is a site that has mostly guys who want to have a go at doing things for themselves. (and fair enough too) However sometimes they want to know every little detail and occasionaly the detail comes down to sensitive commercial information if somebody has spent a lot of time and effort to develop something. This can result in a sort of commercial conflict which puts everybody on edge. Being an active contributor to the site as well as having a commercial interest is very thin gangplank indeed.

(Maybe there is room for change here Michael and perhaps we could have a poll or some general free discussion as to the merrits or otherwise of having a mix of commercial interest as well as just enthusiasts. Personally I am in favour of it. We are currently co-existing with some of these contributors in a more or less defacto way without any problems and to the contrary, they are some of the best contributors the site has. Over to you, Michael)

So on the one hand I agree with you but on the other, I dont want to be in the centre of any poo fights over something which was supposed to help someone in the first place.

Incidentaly, before this post accidentally refires any sort of resurfacing of stuff that has gone down before, I plead that it doesn't.

I am more than happy to assist anyone who has an interest in my shifter design to build one for themselves for free.Yes it is a thorough pain in the butt to make however when it is done, you will wonder why the f**k it took you so long to decide to do it.

...and no, I won't mention it again unless asked to do so.

BTW The next time you are in Brisbane, look me up and and you can have a drive of my car just to prove it to yourself how much better my set up is.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Thankyou for the kind offer MD !I would love to take you up on that offer next time I'm in Sunny Queensland.
I hope my asking MD to produce a kit does not cause any conflict on this site as that is not my intention. But on the other hand I welcome all improvements to the GTV6 and to this forum .I applaud members of this site who spend there time and money on research and developement then to offer their improvements / ideas free of charge (I personally would be more than happy to pay as some of us don't have the time or expertise to carry out some of these improvements)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

GTV6 NZ there are 2 ! The ALFA 90 Super has the first 3 ratios lower with the final drive of 4.100 its an isostatic box with lsd.The standard 90 has a final drive of 3.545
(Australian / NZ market).
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)