bcal
Gold
Gold

Are all V6 tailshafts the same?

Post by bcal »

I'm a bit confused :?

I've been looking for the engine end of a V6 shaft to do a 6 into 4 swap but I keep getting different stories about this coupling.

Some say its the same as the 4 but larger and some say that it has a splined yoke etc.
I've only ever seen the latter.

I'm assuming that all I need to do is cut off the V6 coupling and weld it to the 4 cylinder tailshaft.
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Are all V6 tailshafts the same?

Post by MD »

I think it's possible to use the front half shaft of a 2.5/3.0 litre and the balance from a 2litre just by assembling and balancig these parts. No cutting necessary.

The thing to note is that the parts must come from a sedan if you are working on a sedan and a coupe if its a coupe because the combined length ot the shafts is different. The sedans being longer..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

MD wrote:I think it's possible to use the front half shaft of a 2.5/3.0 litre and the balance from a 2litre just by assembling and balancig these parts. No cutting necessary.
So from what you are saying I take it that the center donuts for 4 and 6 are interchangeable.
MD wrote:The thing to note is that the parts must come from a sedan if you are working on a sedan and a coupe if its a coupe because the combined length ot the shafts is different. The sedans being longer..
Just to be difficult my shaft is shortened both ends and reversed so what ever I do i reckon there'll be cutting and welding involved somewhere.

Thanks mate :D
Brett
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The flywheel interface on the engine is different between the V6 and I4, but I guess you know this?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Mats wrote:The flywheel interface on the engine is different between the V6 and I4, but I guess you know this?
Sort of. The flywheel I have has 3 bolts like the 4 but they have a larger PCD.
There is also a recess for a "spigot" bearing of some kind. Again I'm guessing this is similar to the 4.
I'm really going to have to get my hands on a V6 shaft to know what's what.
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

bcal
It is interesting that on one set up I have a 3 litre V6 that uses the large 3 litre front donut and then couples down to a 2 litre centre and rear donut with a combination of shafts as I have explained above. Now you would guess that under the circumstances, the first donuts to fail would be the 2 litre ones,no?

Wrong. the first one to fail was the front one and they were all new and fitted at the same time. Is it any wonder that I hate Alfa donuts?

Mats is presuming like I am presuming that you know that the V6 PCD's are bigger and yes they can be fitted with a pinch bolt or like in my case not. All depends if Luiggi built in Monday or Pedro made it after lunch... :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

For the 75, there are probably 2 styles for the 75 V6s. One with and without the pinch bolts. I have the one without the pinch bolt and splines (which means it has the large center donut). I checked the records and MD was wrong, the driveshaft on my car was built after their 2nd daily veno break by Mario.
Dr. Alban
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

In the UK, every GTV6 I have seen has a pinch bolt type shaft, every 75 3 litre I have seen has the pinch bolt type shaft, every 75 Twinspark I have seen has a non-pinch bolt (regular) shaft, but some very early 75 2.5 (1987) have a non-pinch bolt type shaft - I can't recall if this was the same as the Twinspark or was hybrid of Twinspark & V6, later 2.5's do appear to have the 3 litre type shaft.