Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Short throw shifters

Post by Jose_76 »

Has anybody out there built a short throw shifter modification for street use?
I have, but still not very happy with the way it works (Still haven't pics neither).

Any ideas? Pics?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Gee! Great modifications in that site!
Interesting solution for a race car, but I'm looking for something I can fit in my street GTV6 without drilling a hole on the floor :roll:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
MD
Verde
Verde

Gear Selector

Post by MD »

Sorry mate but you are pushing sheit up the hill with a pointy stick. Er.. pissing in the wind or chasing the fountain of eternal youth. All in all it is a total waste of time.
The reason is that when you analyise the levers and fulcrum points of the factory design, it soon becomes clear that it CANNOT be done.
Sure you can make little improvements here and there and plenty of owners have,but the end result of even the best of these is still a 2 foot throw and a six mile wide gate.(a little poetic license here for impact)
The only fix is a radical one where you go back to engineering first priciples and redesign the whole selection set up and the first step in this process is a direct hole entry to the selector shaft.
If you are reluctant to do that, you will never get a "stick-in-the-box " feel or a short selection/gate. Sorry to put a choke on your plans but I am just trying to save you some frustration and possibly mula. Check this out:

http://alfagtv6.com/blueLightning/blueLightning.htm
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

call alfa ricambi and see if they have the "sure shifter" ready to go yet. that is the best option for a street appreance and i think they claim a 30 percent reduction in throw length with more precise feel.
vittorio
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Thank you, Sporttuner, but I guess that's something only available in the U.S. :cry:
Anyway, has anybody a picture of that "sure shifter"? Has anybody already bought it? how much does it cost?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i am pretty sure the alfa ricambi ships out of usa... the picture comes from page 113 of the ar catalog they sent me. they qouted me a price but i forget. i remember thinking at the time it was worth it.
Attachments
sure shift.gif
sure shift.gif (165.8 KiB) Viewed 7934 times
Nicholas
Silver
Silver

Short throw shifters

Post by Nicholas »

Does anyone know if anything came of the survey on the old gtv6.org, with regards to the shift mech upgrade that was designed in WA Australia ?
Nick
GTV630
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

MD's got it on with his conversion, as do the Team Comp guys- billet, and lots of it, and fulcrum point changes, that will likely highlight our soft Synchro issues even moreso. I stil wonder whether a 928 box sitting in the De Dion with one of their shift linkages could make something nice out of a "Tranny's Axle".

Porsche have always made strong boxes. It sounds nice, but too many idiots bought those cars with autos in em. yuuk.

Still seems a getrag behind the motor is the true way to a big HP taking box and a slick shift.

Stephen, the driving force behind the WA shifter, suffered a very close loss in his family, and gave the car mod. game away. Understandably, he has had other things on his mind. Selfishly, I can say it is a big shame for us TransAlfisti that he isnt on the boards anymore.
Fixing it bit by bit....
Reale
Gold
Gold

shifter

Post by Reale »

Jose,
You don't have to drill a hole in the floor for the direct shifter mod. You do, however, have to drill a hole in the bulkhead under the front edge of the back seat.
It really makes a GREAT shifter, though!!
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6