Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Al, how is that car doing in racing? Is there anywhere we can see race results posted on the internet? It sounds like a very competitive car!
Reale
Gold
Gold

Racing

Post by Reale »

I try to post the results on our website, but there is some lag from time to time. We finished last season second in the SE Division regionals, which was fun, but first would have been better! The car has become faster and faster, though we are still struggling to match the performance of the national racers. As a "limited prep" car, we are restricted to 10:1 compression, as well as with what we can do to the suspension. I have lobbied the comp board for some concessions, increased cam lift, and weight reductions, which have helped. I would not have believed that we could get the car so close to 2300 lbs, and I suspect that we will get closer still. Perhaps the lighter paint will be the key!
At most events, I know that we will have a podium finish, and I won a race at Carolina Motorsports Park a couple of weeks ago-which was my first race this season. We are going to Roebling Road next weekend for another race.
In February, we put my wife in the car for Driver's School, which was great fun. She had her first race at CMP the same weekend (I raced Sat., she raced Sun.). She did pretty well, though it was a completely new track for her. We are planning on splitting the next race weekend, too. Would like to do some endurance stuff, perhaps with SVRA.
Thanks,
Allen
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I need to look at the rulebook but 2300lbs is 1043Kg which is about 150Kg more then my car. :shock:

Sounds like a pretty strange set of rules if you need std stuff to keep the weight up but can use Composite driveshafts..? :?

BTW, I should have said "diminishing return" rather then "absolutely nothing" but if someone is considering a composite driveshaft on something that is actually streetable that is just silly in my book. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Reale
Gold
Gold

Weight, etc.

Post by Reale »

Strange is right. "Limited prep" was supposed to SAVE money, but what it translates into is 1500 driveshafts, and other expensive development programs. If it wasn't fun, I would not do it, since hitting myself in the head with a hammer would be less painful.
If you can figure a way to legally drop 150kg on my car (I would happily add ballast, since I would be the person deciding where the weight went), I will be pretty surprised. Trust me, I know a lot of illegal ways.
BTW, never advocated this for a street car, just brought it up because I <<thought>> people might be interested. My bad, I guess.
-AOM
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

no, no, don't get us wrong here. This should have been in the "Race and track" forum though.. :D

Hey, have you got one of these?

I got inertia calc. somewhere... without the ring gear though.
Complete with ring gear and bolts 2.9Kg. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

No Allen, why is it a bad idea to tell us about these upgrades?

It's cool that you told us about this.

Now why some of us are so harsh on this, I have no idea.
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Weight, etc.

Post by MALDI »

Reale wrote:BTW, never advocated this for a street car, just brought it up because I <<thought>> people might be interested. My bad, I guess.
Reale,

Many of us ARE very interested in what you have accomplished (even if we will likely never do a mod like this on our own street cars). I am always interested in seeing what's possible. I'm sure many other forum members are as well.

Thanks for the pix and sharing your experiences with us. Good luck beating up on the P-cars at the track! :D
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Hey Al,

this topic has now 5 pages. This translates to me as interest. Hell, I'm interested. Too bad it's not allowed anymore. An alu shaft would still be OK and I have it on my list (already use the light paint).

I just posted as it started to sound like some guys considered this a mod for street cars.

BTW, my car weighs about 900 kg like Mats' car. 850 kg would easily be possible but cost some money and I'm already by my 918 kg limit.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

What about wheels? We can discuss this in detail in another thread. The Volk Racing TE-37 or SSR Type C are really light wheels, about 11 lbs in 15 X 7. I think the SSR is probably below 11 lbs.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Please start a new thread for that, in the Race section... :wink:

My car is sub 900. Still with everything in the doors except glass. :)
There is plenty left, no sheet metal is yet cut away for instance, hood and hatch are fibreglass though.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Reale
Gold
Gold

Weight

Post by Reale »

Thanks, guys, sorry for being touchy!

Yeow, how did you get the car that light??? I have put carbon fiber fenders, hood and hatch, gutted the doors, aluminum 8 gallon fuel cell (with the optional aluminum top), CF instrument panel, aluminum anything else, and even lost about 10lbs personally. I have Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 wheels (about 13lbs each-so there is 10-12 lbs to lose with lighter ones, but the price was right), but still, we're talking 320lbs of weight here.
I know that I would do the cage differently, go with alloy rather than mild steel, but I draw the line at cutting out the cage and replacing it (at least for now . . .).
BTW, that flywheel is SWEET, mine is just turned down to the ring gear, pretty light, but no big divots out of it, weighs about 4.5kg. The clutch assy is a Tilton 3 disk, weighs about 3.2kgs. Are we all running the 2.5L V6? Is the 4 cylinder motor a lot lighter?
-Allen
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Allen,I posted a question and was subsequently nuked by the "Self rightious racers club"for asking the question..
Again,I your opinion,how will the cf shaft work in a daily driver..?
NO,IM NOT ABOUT TO ORDER ONE FOR MY CAR!Simply curious.. :?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

BUUUUUUURN HIM!!!! (bellowed Monty Python style) :lol:

Allen: I got a 4-cyl carb. The v6 is not 150 heavier as far as I know though. :wink:
We are 5 in our garage that race 75's and GTVs, all weigh 890-950 depending on rules. So why your car is so heavy I can't understand. I'll have a look at those rules and your site and look for clues.
Thanks for the comment on the flywheel, the pics doesn't do it justice actually. Miled out of billett steel, figured I should mention that before someone tells me I'm a madman. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Al,

mine is a 4-banger as well. Only carbon part is the rear wing.
Alloy roll cages are banned since years.
Reale
Gold
Gold

CF, etc.

Post by Reale »

Should we start a new thread about the weight issue?
I am really at a loss to explain the discrepancy, my cage is likely not 150kg heavier than yours, are there significant sheet metal differences between the US and European markets, right? Mine started as an '86 GTV6.

Back to the question about use in a daily driver-
Besides my own purely subjective feeling of more "snap" coming out of corners (can anybody comment on the sitffness/twist differences between carbon, aluminum, and steel driveshafts?), its presence under the car is undetectable. I was considering making a lexan driveshaft tunnel, so people could see it was there, for more bling factor (hee hee!).

BTW, what did they make the driveshaft tunnel out of, anyway, tissue paper?

Since there is no tapered section, the gearshift pivot needs to get moved out of the driveshaft tunnel, which is an experience in itself, but not imposssible.

So, for a street car, I am sure it would work, but like Mats said, I am not sure that there would be much bang for the buck.

So should we move the weight thread?
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6