bmacf
Gold
Gold

clutch alignment tool?

Post by bmacf »

Hey there, I'm assembling a rebuilt clutch. I thought I had a clutch alignment tool from my fiat, but can't find it. Is a clutch alignment tool absolutley necessary? Is it specific to the Alfa V6 transaxles?

Thanks,
Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Yes it is necessary, well at least from my experience. The number of splines on the tool is important to align the parts together. I used a tool made from a shaft cutoff from an old clutch assembly.
Dr. Alban
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Thanks Zamani.

What I ended up doing was putting the bolts through the pressure plate, then sliding the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel on the tranny shaft. I pushed the assembly as far as I could in without the bolt heads hitting the tranny housing. Then one by one I tightened the bolts (only a turn or two at a time before rotating to the next bolt) through the upper clutch viewing hole. No I couldn't torque to spec but hopefully I'm close enough.

You could only assemble the clutch this way with the tranny out of the car imho. We'll see if it works out.

Thanks,
Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

On a one disk clutch you can use almost anything to align it. Whatever you can come up with that fits good enough. On the twin disk you must align the splines on the both disks. There I cut an old shaft for the purpose.