bmacf
Gold
Gold

Replacing throwout bearing, direction of belleview washer?

Post by bmacf »

Hello everyone, I've resurfaced my clutch disk, and the two clutch surfaces. Now I'm installing a new throughout bearing. Single clutch for a milano, not double clutch like on a GTV6.

Two questions, the belleview washer is concave - which side goes down? I'm guessing the curvature of the belleview is opposite of the clutch fingers? This is so it can act like a spring?

Second question, book doesn't show two washers that I have. I'm thinking these two thin washers go on first, then the belleview, then the thick washer with the groove and finally the snap ring?

...maybe I took pictures....

Thanks,
Bill
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

OK, I found a helpful page in the manual that indicates the order of the washers to add. See:

http://public.bmacfarl.fastmail.fm/#sin ... cement.jpg

But I'm still uncertain how to orient the belleville spring. Hopefully if I put it in the wrong direction I can still remove it...

Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'77 Fiat Spider
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Actually, ounce you get the order of the washers correct, the whole thing goes together pretty easy. The Belleville washer was obvious once I put it into the right place. If in doubt, before you put the snap ring on try pushing down on the rear flywheel. If it snaps down (like a spring is allowing it to move), then you've got the belleville washer correct...I think.

Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'77 Fiat Spider
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Bill,

Where did you get the throwout bearing? I just need that as my there is this whirring sound coming from the clutch. Don't need the whole assembly.
Dr. Alban
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Rats! I think it's my front and rear clutch cover bearing. Throw out bearings will be replaced too.
Dr. Alban