AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Mats, rather than just kill the idea can you (or anyone) explain how they are "matched"? I presume the teeth match up and engage correctly.

Is it a matter of diameter and length?
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

as far as i know NO car company or gear company has EVER made a set of ring and pinion gears that you can swap a pinnion from say 410 to a ring gear of a 355...they would never line up its a simple matter of size and gear mesh......sure the gear pitch is not an issue its the simple fact that as 1 gear gets bigger the other gear must get smaller

that said i dont see why you couldnt swap a "early" 410pinion (say in the case of the old gear drive for a fetta or gtv6) into a LSD plat or TS box with the plat/ts 410 ring gear........not wise but if someone set the gear mesh and tolerances it would hold up it just would likely whine
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

sh0rtlife wrote:as far as i know NO car company or gear company has EVER made a set of ring and pinion gears that you can swap a pinnion from say 410 to a ring gear of a 355...they would never line up its a simple matter of size and gear mesh......sure the gear pitch is not an issue its the simple fact that as 1 gear gets bigger the other gear must get smaller

that said i dont see why you couldnt swap a "early" 410pinion (say in the case of the old gear drive for a fetta or gtv6) into a LSD plat or TS box with the plat/ts 410 ring gear........not wise but if someone set the gear mesh and tolerances it would hold up it just would likely whine
The early pinion and late pinion are very obviously not compatible when you have them side by side.

On the swapping pinion/ringgears issue I can't explain it without a long technically heavy post about complex stuff. It's easier to make a comparison.
Why doesn't anybody ever try to swap a 3.0 crank into a Nord to get more power? :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Why doesn't anybody ever try to swap a 3.0 crank into a Nord to get more power?
I did. It works really well. You just have to move the block, pistons etc etc with it and remove all of the extranious nord bits. :lol:
Seriously, mismatching between ring and pinion sets, even of the same type (say 75 TS to 75 TS), is not easy - they need to be lapped together for a decent result. Once you step ouside this to different ratios, it just doesn't work.