sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

Of course, now I'm thinking of selling my good '84 gearbox to make room. Too many spares for my cars.

Good luck.
wish you had said something sooner........woulda saved me a crap ton of shipping

grabbing the low milage and re-sealed unit out of michigan(im in oregon) from an 85/86 milano......by the sounds of things ill be swaping it out to the older style of shifting......lil bummed about going up to a 410 gear se(freeways are fun!)....course i AM keeping the old unit if for nothing else spares

just verified that the milano that i got for free(complete and rust free) is indeed a platinum...so i do atleast have a LSD unit sitting here but that car is slated for my lloyd project[/quote]
turtlerich
Silver
Silver

Post by turtlerich »

Great topic!

I am in a similar situation. My '82 box is on its last days, but I have an '85 gearbox waiting to take over. I'm not really interested in going to an iso shifter, so i need to figure out what mods are needed with the '85 box to mate it with the non-iso shifter.

Do the clutch save cylinders match up? It looks like the only thing needed is to switch out the gear selector so i can use my non-iso linkage and shifter rod.

Any hints?

thanks!!!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well if you want to use the original shifter components, you have some work ahead of you.

You need to swap the selector shafts over. This means pulling the box down and transposing your old selector into the new box .

Unless you do this, it is not possible to fit the original selector crank as there are no splines on the ISO box.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
turtlerich
Silver
Silver

Post by turtlerich »

MD: Thanks!

I will be switching out the selector shafts and using the '85 gear box in my '82. We'll see how much i can mess it up!!!

cheers,

-rich
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

definately the right desicion. Iso is a waste of time. too complicated, too many bits to wear out, and expensive. better to go pre ISO with modified lever ratio, and new bushing at the stick bottom. it becomes plenty useable and faster to use.

I was all for changing gate crank too, until I drove mine after altering just lever ratio and new bushings. the result was so good I didnt bother with addressing the gate.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

sure im digging the post up from the dead

anyway ...the first tranasaxle i got was DESTROYED by UPS!!!..after waiting several months for them to pay out...i waited and now have me a TS box from JJ

swaping the shift select is a cake walk

but now WTF do i do about the speedo drive?....the 83 gtv6 i have is what i would refer to as a "left over" balloco..red pipe red carpet even the holes in the black quarter plastics for the clovers....the speedo drive in this is nothing more than an electric pickup with a stub mechanical drive hanging out of it...the TS box doesnt have the "gear" on the shaft for it ..instead its got notches
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Seek and you shall find...

There is a ton of info about this issue right here on the site.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

Mats wrote:Seek and you shall find...

There is a ton of info about this issue right here on the site.
yeah the trick is digging it up and finding anything usefull
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

i do recall someone had a devise that adapted the trans pulse signal to one that worked for the speedo. The reason for its use was getting the later 85-86 trans to work with the older (an 82 iirc) speedo. Cost was roughly $60-70.

hth,
scott
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

if i understand right thats the dakota device your thinking of...the question is...do i have to have a milano amplifier(black box under the back seat) to make the dakota work on an 82/83 gtv6 speedo?....and what milano speedo pickup do i need...and does anyone have one?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

shortlife

Here's a link to start with :-

http://alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... eece7ce8b9

Then walk through the following photos that will help you further.

The first photo shows you the progression of the electronic speedo drives from the earliest type to the last of the series.

The second photo shows a two wire sender with the Bosch type connector and having a yellow and brown wire. It is used together with the Jaeger black box amplifier located under the 75/milano back seat.

Finally, the last photo shows a three spade connector type sender. This unit contains inside it all that is held in the Jaeger black box so it is all self contained and must NOT be used with Jaeger black box. Just use it by itself.

You cannot use the earliest sender type because it requires a gear drive which the TS box does not have.

The remaining 2 & three wire type senders must be used in conjunction with a Dakota type translator as detailed in the above link.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Attachments
Jaeger 3 spade connector type used with NO AMP.jpg
Jaeger 3 spade connector type used with NO AMP.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 6491 times
Jaeger 2 wire sender used with Jaeger black box amp.jpg
Jaeger 2 wire sender used with Jaeger black box amp.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
Transaxle electronic speedo drive evolution.jpg
Transaxle electronic speedo drive evolution.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

In case you haven't seen a 75/Milano Jaeger black box located under the back seat, here's a photo of it.

People call this an amplifier but frankly it is a lot more than just an amplifier..
Attachments
Jaeger B- Box components for 2 wire sender in TS 75.jpg
Jaeger B- Box components for 2 wire sender in TS 75.jpg (236.3 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
Jaeger Black Box  in 75 Twin Spark.jpg
Jaeger Black Box in 75 Twin Spark.jpg (127.91 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

so then i just need a sender and the dakota sgi5? and that i dont need the milano jaeger box

or are you saying that the 3 wire sender doesnt require a jaeger box? but still will require the dakota?

i read what you said 3 times and think thats what your saying
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

OK, let's recap.

You need a Dakota in all cases.

You can use a two wire bosch connector sender plus a Jaeger black box from the 75/milano + Dakota

or

You can just use the three wire sender + Dakota

I cannot make it any clearer.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

ok that clears it up prefectly....i wasnt understanding that the 3wire more or less has the jaeger built in and that the 2 wire REQUIRES the jaeger to function at all