AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

Drive shaft fastener size

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi gang,

I'm getting ready to pull my Milano verde V6 for a rebuild and the last component I need to remove before pulling the engine is the driveshaft. All of the fasteners are a weird size, the front and rear donut fasteners are not 18mm but not quite 19mm either (close to 19mm but still loose). The center donut is the same story, not quite 17mm. I was able to loosen everything by putting a small shim into a socket from an old set of feeler gauges but I'd like to get the correct tool sizes to put eveyrthing back on.
Isn't there a third measurement system besides metric and american national standard? I thought there was an older english system also? Could these be based on this third system? If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.

thanks a lot!
AlfaBeta
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

that is so bizarre. as far as i know the bolts you are referring to are 19mm and 17mmon the button. perhaps it is possible that whoever touched them last rounded them off a bit...
vittorio
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

Sporttunergtv6 wrote:that is so bizarre. as far as i know the bolts you are referring to are 19mm and 17mmon the button. perhaps it is possible that whoever touched them last rounded them off a bit...
vittorio
Or sloppy tolerance sockets. Use a micrometer or equivavalent gauge on the bolt heads... gah I dont know the English word for it, but the one to measure 0-0.2m distances in tenths of millimetres :).
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

"Vernier Caliper" = skjutmått. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!