Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Hi Guys
I have the Colotti straight cut full set,If I recall currect the longer ratios on the upper list,
It cost about 10,000$ (7000Euros) 3 years ago.
Don't forget to consider a Colotti costum made crown wheel and pinion as these tend to snap under high torque that the box withstands(another 3000-4500Gees).
I must admit shifting is very hard and there are some vibrations especially when down-shifting and on 1st gear.
After a while I got used to it and these seem to hold the engine's output and torque (500+bhp\600NM at daily drive).
Cheers 8)
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

don't the staight cut gears make a lot of whining noise??
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

rz wrote:don't the staight cut gears make a lot of whining noise??
yes....... :( like an helicopter.......
2 stroke addict
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Giulietta24vTT wrote: It cost about 10,000$ (7000Euros) 3 years ago.
Don't forget to consider a Colotti costum made crown wheel and pinion as these tend to snap under high torque that the box withstands(another 3000-4500Gees).
Cheers 8)
??? there is a special made crownwheel and second shaft ?

because they said me 4500€...is a very nice price......(if there is pinion and crown wheel its a good price true...
2 stroke addict
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

They will actually need a sample for dimentions off a 3/0 or other TX box ,the can probably make you a dfferent final ration afterwards.
The price qouted for these two are around 4K but they have a "sale-price" for the ones who had bought the gears set... :wink:

The whining is negligable ,it does not whine as hard as it does in my friends 2.5 6spd Subaru Impreza straight cut dog box ,

When gears arrived we needed to add some washers and spacers in order to assamble the box precisely , and shifting as I said isn't a great pleasure.
Chen S
MD
Verde
Verde

gearbox

Post by MD »

Please describe in more detail the nature of the shifting. You suggest that it is not so good. Thanks
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

ok...
The hard shifting occors mainly from 2nd to 3rd and when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. it might just not get into right place no matter how hard you try , precision and timing is the name of the game,
5th is never a problem and to get it fast you pull very far upright At firtI thought thats partly due to the old Giulietta-GTV lickage which I should have replaced in to 75 one (+the whole brige assy ) a while ago.
Moreover, there is actually also great difficulty to get 1st gear into place when starting a ride , you have to really "feel" it getting parallel in order to get it right , of course you get used to it , but sometimes at traffic jams or when downshifting to 1st it's kind of frustrating.

One honestly can feel the right entrance of each gear when currectly trassmited in a non syncronised box, but a driver which is not formiliar nor experienced he will find it very hard and unconfortable , so ,when shifting unwisely there will be some whining and griding noises and some unpleasent vibrations that are preventable if driver operates correpondingly.

In the end of the day, If its not for a series metal breaker Turbo'd V6er I wouidn't want such gearbox on any car not even a series group track car.
I may be selling mine in favour of a front M3/5 box or a shevy rear mounted one instead ,in the meanwhile I will try to sort the linkage thing again and see if there's any improvement (I doubt it),
Cheers all,
Chen S
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearbox

Post by MD »

Appreciate your candid response. I have been considering buying one and wondered about the benefits. One of the great things about this forum is that it is a huge test bed of different things that owners do to their cars. It's almost as if you have thought of it ,someone has already done it !
Thanks again.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse