aralfa8589
Silver
Silver

POST FIRE HELP NEEDED

Post by aralfa8589 »

Guys-
I am having front of my garage repaired as it was damaged in the house fire. My GTV6 was in the garage, on blocks, semi-retired for the off season. Here is where the problems arise...

I have no tools. My repacement set is a week away.

The car has no fuel lines, so it doesn't run.

The clutch and/or emergency brake is seized, so it won't roll.

And now for the best part. The guys have sort of reconfigured the front of the garage by adding an entry door and moving the big garage door about 1 foot to the right. I can't complain, as they were trying to do me a favor, and I was at work when they did their stuff.
I'm going to borrow 2 floor jacks so I can lift the car and move it enough so that it aims out the new door opening. I was going to remove the ignition lock, but it's too dark (no power) too see what I'm doing.
THE BIG QUESTION: Can I hook onto the car and just yank it out without screwing anything up (in neutral of course)?????
Any advise would be great, as I have to do this after work Mon or Tues. because the door installer guy is coming Wed. AM.
This fire is the worst thing that has ever happened to me! That said, I guess I'm pretty lucky.

Jeff Lang
John Brase
Silver
Silver

Post by John Brase »

>>The clutch and/or emergency brake is seized, so it won't roll. <<

Jeff,
seems to me it should roll in neutral even with a siezed clutch. You could try to lever the E-brake loose by prying against the E-brake levers on the rear calipers. A look at the cable routing and how it actuates the levers will tell you which direction you should pry. Good luck.

John
John Brase
'84 GTV6
'78 BMW R100RS
aralfa8589
Silver
Silver

Post by aralfa8589 »

Thanks-I suspect it is the e-brake that is the culprit, though the clutch is probably also stuck. Anyway, the local auto parts store (amazingly) has a set of wheel dollies in stock, so all is relatively cool for now.
Jeff Lang