Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Whining/screaming TS gearbox *problem found*

Post by Seb »

Hello Sirs!

We´ve got a small perdickerment in our track car. The gear box screams/whines A LOT. Cant drive the car without ear plugs + the helmet. We´ve heard it´s probably the pinjong axle thats worn. (the washers) ?

Does anyone recognise this? What to do about it?

None of us has done this operation and we could use some pointers.

Seb
Last edited by Seb on Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearbox

Post by MD »

Seb

Got no idea what's wrong with your transaxle 'cause your question is a bit like how long is a piece of string?

But I can't wait to find out what the hell a pinjong axle is ..got a feeling I'm in for some lessons here..

:D

MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Well, could be its not called that in english, but I think so. I´m no pro in gear boxes :D in foreign languages...

And I don´t think is a fuzzy question at all. Can´t get it prutty much straigth forward: Why is it screaming? Usually someone has had the same problems.

You might get a lesson, but not from me :D

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Could you mean... ring and pinion?
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

BINGO!! That´s what You call it! Pinion. It´s been 7 years since i left the US...

Yes, that´s what I mean. We heard from different sources that the whining noice probably comes from a worn ring.

Could this be right? Any other ideas?

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Seb,

Not an expert myself... I found this and it has proven reliable for me.

Diagnosing Noise
Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts

Hope it helps.

-Brian
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Brian wrote:Seb,

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

-Brian
This sounds like our problem. Big operation? More?

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Seb, The Ring in the "ring and pinion" is the ring gear on the diff. I guess (since you crossposted on Alfapower) that you meant to say shim.
A worn shim at the intermediate flange in the GB will cause a whining sound. Do as you were told to do in AP and you will be fine. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearbox

Post by MD »

Hey Seb,

Glad you got your funky question sorted out. Goes to show you how much collective knowledge about Alfas is out there amongst contributors to the site and not to mention mechanical crossword puzzle solvers!

Having read you explanation for the term you used made me realise that english is not your primary language. I did not know that before so NOW I understand your situation. Hope you are ok with that?

MD
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

The gerat tihng wtih egnlsih is yuo need only get the frist and lsat ltter in the corrcet plcae to udnrestnad it. Figuirng out Jeb's Swenglish was no prolbem!

Chrees!

-Biran
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Biran!

It is the smae in swdesih! :D

MD, no probs! It`s the technical terms I´m not so hot on. I've started working on engines/cars seriously after I left the states, so I know them all i swedich only. :?

Well, obviously it works in here anyways!

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearboxes

Post by MD »

Great.

Finally the site is getting back to some lunacy and lightening up like it usually is.

Looooove it !

MD
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It seems most people from other countries that post on this board speak English so well we tend to forget it's not thier primary language. The peope from northern Europe and Australia seem to have a real mastery of English.
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

Greg,

You are right about that! Try doing what my wife and I did, move to another country and then learn the native language, in our case Hindi. This will give you a real appreciation for people who speak and write well in their non-native language.

Glenn
Glenn
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

Greg Gordon wrote:It seems most people from other countries that post on this board speak English so well we tend to forget it's not thier primary language. The peope from northern Europe and Australia seem to have a real mastery of English.
what? lol, north europe and australia ? is that a jab at us aussies?

english is our native language ! :oops: