x-rad
Verde
Verde

Clutch master fluid

Post by x-rad »

Be careful of the type of fluid you use. I picked up some standard brake fluid from the auto store, put it in my clutch reservoir and within minutes, my clutch pedal felt like bubblegum. Fluid leaked out through master into pedal box overnight. I think this new brake fluid dissolved the previously fine master seals!

Unfortunately, it was a few months ago and I dont remember the name...

Which type is a good compatable clutch fluid?

Do you guys use different brake and clutch fluids? (at one time, Alfa had these running off the same reservoir.)

Presently, I have separate reservoirs..
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

I have a common clutch/brake resevoir and have always used high temp.DOT3 only.No leaks.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Yep. That's what I used. I think it was a synthetic I picked up at a local speed shop. Maybe there were some odd additives??
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

The same thing happened to me with brake fluid, it went through and destroyed all the rubber within the brake system and I had to overhaul the entire thing.

Something must have contaminated it, and sometimes if there is some other fluid left over somewhere it can "disagree" and have a reaction with the new fluid (or so I'm told).
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Mezevenf:

There was left over fluid (old left over fluid). I will bet you are 100% correct about fluid- fluid interaction and the reaction dissovling the seals!!

I can't wait for the "new" fluid to make its way down the line to the slave cylinder!!