PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Is this the "original " gearbox?

Post by PietereQ »

Ok, my newly bought GTV6 is being revived due to the clutch being just mercilessly worn out, thanks to the previous owner. The crux ist that; it came out during the clutch removal that, it is not the original twn-plate but, the single-plate clutch. My question is, does it mean that the gearbox is also likely not to be a factory fitted one? Or is it possible to swap clutch from different alfas on standard GTV6 gearbox? Are there any markings on the gearbox or whatsoever to determine whether this is the "genuine"?
Thanks,
Pete
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The twin plate or single plate clutches are interchangable. It could mean that the twin plate was converted to single plate some time back when it needed a replacement because it is much cheaper. The box could be original or changed. Either way, if it is working and the speedo is working, what does it matter?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Oops... two topics weird :?
Well, my concern is whether this single plate clutch will withstand the torque and power (I just thought that the stock twin plate is more durable). For sure I can say that the gearbox is not the Milano 2.0 Ts, 2,5 or 3.0 liter - i couldn't see the lsd in action. And btw the speedo doesn't work, but I've been already told how to fix the problem.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I think you need to get some reassurance from someone other than me because notwithstanding that I told you that in terms of capabilities the difference is not worth argueing about for a road car. The twin plate is easier to use with less pressure required at the pedal but only slightly so.

When it comes to replacement cost in Oz, the difference is about 7 times more for the twin plate-still interested?

Otherwise there is a nat's nuts difference. Celebrate and stop worrying about it ! Save some hair on your head for the speedo. You'll need it.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

I guess you're right. It's just my first car ever, and as a student I have "limited" resources, hence my exagarated concern. I just do not want to take any extra costs since the car, as previous owner stated, was in "superb driving condition". Now I have a job with electricity, crappy exhaust, gauges, new battery (guy swapped it for a depelted one), clutch, and mirros - "accidently" stolen. And thanks for the info about the clutch, talked to my mechanic, guess I'll have it fixed in few days or so.
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

Md I think your attitude to this young lad is very patronising.he is not as well versed as others on this site and as this is obviousley his first encounter with the gtv6 his question, which may seem trivial to the ones in the know, is important to him as he has taken his time to find the site, log himself on and ask the question.This site is here for enthusiasts of the model as well as clever engineers whos knowledge is paramount. what we dont need is attitudes of a condiscending nature as we want to encourage new members to this marque
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

PS anyone who drives a blue gtv6 has seriouse style issues
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

darryl longley wrote:PS anyone who drives a blue gtv6 has seriouse style issues
You start attacking MD for being condescending even though he helped this guy in a very concise manner. I did not think his comments came accross negative at all, in fact he was just trying to ease this guys stress saying that it is all good. He went into a some (enough) detail regarding the two systems and pointed this guy in the right direction.

Your comment, on the other hand, was just plain rude (and completely off topic).

If you've got nothing to add to the clutch-issue then dont post. (Heh, being a hypocrite here)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Bernie, thanks for your support.

Darryl,I have reread my own postings and I beleive you are right. It didn't strike me as such on the day but on a second read, I agree. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I am going to overlook the blue issue.

PietereQ, I apologise if you have been offended. I should have had more patience to put you at ease.

I do recollect the day. I was a little pissed about some personal issues which apparently have manifested elsewhere. Sorry about that. :oops:
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

MD it's OK.
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

I apologise publicly to everyone one for my outburst I was probably a bit harsh in my view as passion can sometimes express itself in the wrong way again my sincere apologies especially to MD :oops: :wall:
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Group hug!

:D 8)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Group hug is fine with me Bernie just don't let that thong wearing Hari Chrisna type fom Grease join in . We must have some standards. Bazza is fine 'cause his got stainless steel nuts and the big swede, well you got let him in 'cause you always have to let the wookie win but that JGk guy, you can never trust a guy carrying an olive branch I say.

Whatever you do, don't hang around for the reply. My suggestion is we leave town NOW. Personally I am pulling the plug on the PC in case he has a "sabotage down the wire plan" :D

PS apology accepted darryl without reservation.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

:D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You know what you can do with your BLUE (HARDEHARHAR!) GTV next time you finish polishing it with Vaseline??????????? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jim K.