tomp
Gold
Gold

Replacing stub axle seals, advice sought.

Post by tomp »

Hi folks, I need some advice on replacing the stub axle seals. It looks like a press and a special tool is needed to remove the retaining ring. Does this ring press off fairly easily or is it usually a bear to remove? Does the bearing usually survive? If not is it a standard bearing house part or custom alfa part?
Thanks, Tom P.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Tom,When you say ring,I presume you are reffering to the inner race on the inside bearing that stays behind when the hubb is removed..

If you are doing seals only,the seal will go over the bearing ring,no probs.

If you are replacing the bearings,remove this ring as well..I have the genuine Alfa Romeo tool for this,but a chissel and hammer does the job as well.Yea,its a bit rough..

Dont use the old ring with a new bearing ,wil not last as long,although in an emergency I have done so in the past...

Hope this helps
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

To be clear Im taking about the shafts in the transaxle itself not the wheel carriers on the de-dion axle. I found a parts diagram wich shows, looking at starting from the splined end, a pressed on ring, the ball bearing itself then the aluminum retaining flange(with four bolt holes) wich also contains the seal itself and finially I assume the ring is just removed in a press using the proper fixture but what about the bearing? if it sticks that could very difficult to remove wich damning the bearing.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ok Tom,Cat by the balls here-Im talking front stubb axle and bearings...

If I remember clearly,the box stubb axle has a bearing retaining ring on it,much as the 105 cars on the driveshafts.

Support the ring and axle on a vice and cold chisel acros the outer diameter of the ring-this stretches it and it will come off.
A new has to be turned on a lathe to replace the old.
Heat it up red hot and shrink onto shaft.

Hell,havnt done this for so long I cannot remeber the seal setup..going to check quick.
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Ok, I get it now. Guess Ill make the new ring with about a 4 thou press fit. Just hope the bearing doenst resist removal since that would trash it out pretty well.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Tom,Seriously impressed with your clutch effort on alfabb..did uoy make the pressure plate as well??-verrrrry nice!!

You perhaps want to post it here as well??

Did you come right with your stubbs??
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Sorry for the delay, missed this. I bought a 20ton press to do the stubbs. Its the only way to get them apart and together safely. What a pain! Ill start a new thread here on the clutch and post some pics. Yes, I did the flywheel and slave cylinder. the pressure plate has considerably more force that stock hence the pedal pressure is too high. to fix that Im building a new slave with larger effective area.
-Tom P.