junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Gear Lightening and TA Service;

Post by junglejustice »

Can anyone suggest a transmission shop with experience in the Seattle area to lighten gears, replace syncros and generally over-haul 2 TA trannys for me?

I have a resource in Cali and will go that route when all else fails, but I just thought that a local resource would save on time and shipping as well as support the locals.Can anyone suggest a transmission shop with experience in the Seattle area to lighten gears, replace syncros and generally over-haul 2 TA trannys for me?

I have a resource in Cali and will go that route when all else fails, but I just thought that a local resource would save on time and shipping as well as support the locals.

Sorry about the cross-post. (Not everyone – self included – always reads the local posts…)
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

JJ, are you familiar with this? Alfa Digest post, couple of days ago. Pensacola, FL I believe. Seems like good ratios.

Subject: [alfa] Transaxles

Well, here`s to a great New Year for us all! For any of you interested I
just placed on Ebay two new transaxles. Both with CR lightened gears, one with
an AP 5.5 clutch & brakes.
#`s are 4512428273 & 7945272831. Rj
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Yeah...

Post by junglejustice »

Yes, thanks... Don't like the ratios.... Total price too rich for my blood.
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Have you priced the machine work alone jj? Overall that is a very good price considering what ALL is included with the transaxle... Mike Cudahy picked up the race version with a clutch and calipers for a little over US$2k and that is too rich? Hmmm...
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

I thought the price was OK, then again I am not too familiar with t/a overhaul pricing. Of course, that can change in the blink of an eye.

I have seen $75/gear for lightening but it probably only really needs 1st and second to help with synchro wear.

Does anyone have experience with the shop that built these transaxles?

And what's not to like about the ratios? They are better than any stock box, even for ultra torquey 3.7 motors.

It's a damn shame Alfa never offered a close ratio box either as standard or an option. A lot of the driving experience is sweet ratios. A decent gearchange helps as well.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
www.motozane.com
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Brian, I just focussed on that engine bay.

That's art man.

Turbo?
Jef
www.motozane.com
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Thanks Tipo.. yes it is turbocharged.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/sprintturbo

-Brian
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Cruising through Brian's very interesting site I came across Colotti Tranmissions.

http://www.ch.mo.it/colotti/inglese/index.html

First I have heard of them. Any input from anyone? Brian?

I am getting to the conclusion that a decent shifting g/box with close ratios may be the best bang for the buck rather than losing the sweet 2.5 V6 characteristics by increasing displacement.
Jef
www.motozane.com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have contacted Colotti about a gearbox and diff.

Short story: Colotti wants more money for a diff then I paid for my whole car.. and a Gearbox is just in fantasyland.
You can almost buy a Hewland for their prices.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Mats,

12 months ago they quoted me US$4500 for their syncro'd box (they have a dog-ring option) with whatever ratios I wanted. I just had to send them my box and wait 6 months...

THEY are still waiting! lol

-Brian
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That was a pretty good price compared to what i got...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Shall I order TWO then? :)

-Brian
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

While not the answer JJ is looking for, I’ve stared at transaxle gear ratio numbers more than I should.

I think the earlier 81-83 transaxle cars, especially those with the 3.42 R&P are quite the wide ratio of gears. 1st is good on hills but too short otherwise. 2nd OK but then there’s this chasm between 2nd & 3rd. 4th is taller than necessary. I do like 5th for long distance comfortable cruising.

The later transaxles moved 1st and 2nd closer to 3rd, pretty much left 4th & 5th alone, and put in the 4.10R&P. Well the end result is 1st and 2nd are pretty much stump puller gears like the early GTV6s although the gaps are much closer. That’s why I like the Verde setup with the 3.55.

Now Mr. AlfaTipo mentioned Richard Jemison’s e-mail address and closer ratio gears. I think RJ is another one of those really sharp guys who happens to like messing with (and racing) Alfas. He’s come up with some interesting combinations mixing Alfetta and Milano gears. Very VERY interesting I think. The Alfetta offers shorter gears and RJ has chosen combinations for “long track” and “short track’ applications. Great stuff !

I think the power that Junglejustice will have with his 3.7L engine won’t need any extra close ratio fancy stuff. (Maybe a 2-speed Lenco is all that’ll be necessary ;-) I’ll bet he might have some tire traction limitation problems if anything. I on the other hand with my nearly stock 3.0L think shorter 3rd & 4th Alfetta gears would be a great performance combination (if only 3rd was just a little taller).

It does seem odd that the Seattle/Portland region with their Alfa strong club support doesn’t have someone doing a transmission lightening/rebuilding service.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Short answer is...

Post by junglejustice »

The yuppies started buying new cars and stopped fixing them...

Man! You walk in to Allen Y. Brink machine shop in Pretoria and we're talking 100,000, 150,000 square feet of rows upon rows upon rows of bench lathes, grinders, drill-presses... You name it!

You see 7foot long cranks getting the mains turned! Just awesome.

Amazing place! - Nothing like that up here. Never mind Alfa - very little in commercial/industrial machining in the NW, period. There are a few light machine shops around, but nothing to write home about that I know of.