junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Speedo Off - 4:10 Box in 3.0 Verde...

Post by junglejustice »

Someone please help; I put a reconditioned short-ratio box from a Milano Silver/Gold/Platinum in my US spec Verde 3.0 and now I do 300 mph in 1st gear (according to my dash...)

How do I fix this?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

It's easy

You need the speedo sender (the box under the rear l/h seat) from the 4.1 car, and swap this with the 3.54 sender you have now.

Also the pick up sensor from the 4.1 box - mounted in the left hand side in front of the reverse switch.

You also need the speedo unit for the dash. The easiest way is to transplant a binnacle from a 4.1 transaxle car!

Hook it all up, and hey presto!

Basically you gotta keep all the speedo parts from a 4.1 transaxle if you do the swap into any other ratio!

Much easier on the milano/75...... If you have a gtv6 you have to do all the above, but do a cut and shut Job on the rear of the original speedo to fit the 75 type!
Andrew b
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Hmmm Thanks. So I can't just change out the sender under the rear seat - I have to do the sender on the case as well as the piece on the back of the speedo as well!?

Ah crap....

How do I identify the senders - they all look identical...

What's a "binnacle"...?
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Yep - all the original parts from a 4.1 box - speedo/sender/g.box pickup - then you cant go wrong!

Binnacle = dash pod or speedo/tacho/dials case....

Have a look here -

http://www.alfagtv6.com/transaxl.htm
Andrew b
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Oh dear,

I just installed a 4.1 box into my 75, I dont think the sender is changed and I know the dash is the same.

Wasnt aware of this. Then again, I'm not sure what ratio I had in the first place.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I think all the senders and electronic crap are the same for the 3.55 and the 4.10 box on U.S. spec cars. They simply reindexed the gauge on the Verdes. In other words at any given speed the speedometer needle is actually in the same spot it's just that that spot lines up with a different number on the face of the gauge. My dad messed around with a the various combinations of parts on his Verde with the 4.10 box. No combination worked, the only fix was to put in a speedometer from a 4.10 car. Of couse he went back to the 3.55 box anyway so it did not matter.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Thanks all.... I will install a BMW dash then... :roll:
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

I'm working on a similar problem. Just transplanted a 75 box in an 84 GTV6. It now goes very fast according to the speedo. :roll:

There is nothing under the back seat on the 75. The 3 wire sender connects straight to the speedo and the mileage calculation thing.

The GTV6 has a 2 wire sender, although 1 wire on the 75 sender is an earth. The senders seem to have different pulse rates.

Has anyone had success with the Dakota SGI-5 signal converter as this may be the easiest way to keep everything original?

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd126.htm

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

David, I've been running an SGI-5 for about a year now and it works perfectly and is simple to set up. I've a 75/Milano box in a GTV6 with original GTV speedo & original 75 gearbox sender.

The SGI-5 is an "any to any" signal convertor, and the fine tune options allows you to set the speedo precisely for your gearing, whichever Alfa box you are using.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Thanks Steve,

I think that's the easiest and quickest way to go.

Now to see what the freight cost is from the US!

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Steve R wrote:David, I've been running an SGI-5 for about a year now and it works perfectly and is simple to set up. I've a 75/Milano box in a GTV6 with original GTV speedo & original 75 gearbox sender.

The SGI-5 is an "any to any" signal convertor, and the fine tune options allows you to set the speedo precisely for your gearing, whichever Alfa box you are using.
So I can get a electrical -> wire transformation in that box? Fantastic...
:D :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Steve R, I have a 75 4.1 gearbox in my GTV6 too, I found an amplifier from a 75 (the black box under the car) and I'd like to make my Speedo run. What should I do with that device you say in addition to the amplifier? What should I do if I don't get the Dakota Stuff?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

C'mon guys!

I know I can substitute the GTV6 Speedo internals, but if don't do it,
What should I do to make my GTV6 understand the signal coming from that 75's amplifier/ECU?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

@Jose_76
i put the 75 speedo internals in the GTV6 speedo and it works.
they are a little diffrent inside.
at home i have a pic of the speed internals...
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Jose,

I posted as a specific new thread to make it easier to find if someone's looking for speedo adjustments in future:

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=920

Should fix your scenario.
regards
Steve
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged