mark_atterbury
Silver
Silver

Shifter forces

Post by mark_atterbury »

Maybe this is covered somewher in the forum, but i am not sure what to search for.

I replaced the De Dion and watts link bushings with teh performatek pieces this weekend (very effective, car feels much better). At the same time, I replaced the broken RH transaxle mount. I did not disconnect the shifter linkage while doing this.

The shifter now requires a lot of effort to go to the 1-2 side of the gate. It is easy to get to the 5-R side. The stick still looks centered in the console, and neutral is in line with 3-4. Since nothing was disconnected in the shifter, I don't understand why the feel would change.

Has anyone experienced similar? Did I just get used to the feel with the box loose and now that the mounts are good it just feels different? I don't want to be chasing my tail if nothings broken, but I don't want to let it go if there is anadjustment that needs to be made.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

which shift linkage do you have?

How much did you deflect the tranny to replace the DeDion bush?

I suspect that the tranny now sits in relatively the same position, so likely, you bent the linkage just a little...
mark_atterbury
Silver
Silver

Post by mark_atterbury »

Sorry i haven't replied in a while. Been distracted by many other things.

I think you are right that the linkage was bent slightly. Had a clutch input bearing go out after this repair and pulled it apart to get at that. once it went back together, the shifter feels fine.

When I finally get the rebuilt transaxle in I will have to keep my eye on it.
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

My 84 GTV6 has just come back from the workshop with the same problem. Could the springloading be the wrong way round? So the strong springloading is stopping you getting into 1st and 2nd instead of 5th and reverse. It pretty weird to drive like this isn't it? I guess its probably fixed by now, what was the problem? Mine is going back next week...
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The selector has a centering spring situated inside the gearbox the job of which is to align the selector position 3-4 in the gate. To select 1,2 or 5,R, you have to push against the tension of the centering spring.

If the linkages are free to move in the usual and normal manner, the amount of effort required to push against the centering spring is the same for all gears other than 3,4.

Therefore, if you have more tension in the 1,2 position than you have in the 5,R position, you have a defect of some sort.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

The garage took my gearbox out to sort out the clutch linkage, which they have done successfully. However the springing is now out of whack as described. The shift was fine before they took it out. Could they have connected up the shifter mechanism off centre? The shift actually feels better apart from the increased spring resistance to the 1st 2nd plane and no resistance to the 5th reverse plane. It is now easier to find reverse from 3rd than is to find 4th!

05 Corolla daily driver
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Simon,

I regret to say that this doesn't make a lot of sense. To affect the position of the centering spring on the selector, the actual gearbox part needs to be accessed. Just working on the clutch would not get you there.

It is possible that the internal spring is defective or incorrectly fitted in the first place by parties unknown to you. It is possible to adjust the centering tension from light to strong but the reaction will always be the same for both sides of the gate.

You got no choice but to pull the gearbox apart and check it out if it bugs you that much. No short cuts I am afraid. Try to incorparate it as part of other maintenance on the whole transaxle to make it worth while.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Simon...if the garage did no crack the gear case it is likely that the linkage is bent......

fixing clutch should not involve opening the gearcase....

check to see if there is any damage to the the arm on the input selector shaft........

if it worked fine before the clutch repairs.....then probably injured at garage
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

if your shifter is any further left or right of the 3-4 slot it is probably because they did not line up the splines on the input shaft correctly... it happened to me. when i bought my first gtv6 the shifter was pointing left and i thought it was a problem with the spring. After 2 years of driving like that i finally changed the clutch myself and when i put it all back together the shifter was striaght up and down.
good luck
Vittorio
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

I am taking the car back today, I will let you know what they do to sort it out. The gearbox was fine before and hasn't been touched internally so it sounds like its not quite installed correctly. Hopefully, it won't be too complex to sort out.. :D . Thanks for all the advice, it gives me more idea what to say to the garage guy.

05 Corolla daily driver
DOGFOOD
Silver
Silver

Post by DOGFOOD »

Simon - My car has the same exact issue. First and second are difficult with fifth and reverse very easy to select (the third to fourth gear shift sometimes results in hitting reverse also). In the next few weeks I'm pulling the gearbox to have a look. I dont think my linkage is bent, the car has 48K miles and also has a bad second gear synchro so I dont really think the gearbox has ever been removed or moved to bend the linkage... I may be wrong though. Ill let you know what I find. BTW my car is an '84 with the non-iso linkage.
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

The problem is now fixed, one of the selectors was slightly bent and they bent it back and this fixed the problem, at least thats what I think happened, my Portuguese is not that great! It requires slightly more force to go to the 1st/2nd plane but I remember it being like that before. The garage weren't satisfied and wanted to fiddle until the forces were equal but I'm happy now, I'm not going from 3rd to reverse anymore :D The garage are real enthusiasts, its a real change to feel welcome bringing an Alfa to a workshop :shock: Its great to be driving it again although it only makes my daily driver feel worse!

05 Corolla daily driver
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

always good to be back on the road...... :D