GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Worn Gearbox or Pressure Plate?

Post by GregoryV »

About two years back my old gearbox went crunch and lost 2,3,4 gears. Larry Jr. at APE grabbed another 83 gearbox for me and went through it just to check it over and replaced a few syncros - when it went back in the car it was awesome ... the car never shifted so well.

So now almost overnight it has gotten much worse - it's real ratchety when putting into and out of any gear, regardless of rpm or shifting up or down. No leaks at the clutch slave, Milano (75) clutch assembly has about 70K on it and disk is still looking good (I didn't change the disc when the gearbox was done because there was plenty of meat on it still). Anyone have any thoughts ... maybe the pressure plate isn't doing it's job anymore?

I can live it for awhile, but if the gearbox is still fine and it's the clutch I'm going to wear the gearbox synros out right?? Or does it sound like it could be something in the gearbox?

any experts advice is welcome!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

The more I think about this the more I'm thinking the car is due for a new clutch. What really bites is that I was just about to drop the money for upholstering the seats, so the mistress is demanding once again ... no wonder it's taking me 7 years to get the car back to its former glory :cry:

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Sounds like a master cylinder overhaul. don't touch the box or clutch.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Thanks Mats, have you ever seen them fail without leaking? My last one many miles ago started leaking before I even noticed anything was going on ... still it would be the cheapest and easiest first thing to fix wouldn't it? And if not I'll be set for the next 80K or so.

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Mine did on the racecar, new piston seal fixed it right away.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!