brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Transaxle seal freshen up help....

Post by brookstroutr »

I'm doing a full suspension upgrade so the gearbox is out of the car. I am going to replace all the seals as one of the side output shaft seals was leaking slightly. I'm having difficulty on removing the side shafts and there is nothing in the manual. I couldn't find any old posts regarding this matter either. I could use some help on this one as sometimes I go at it too hard and ---- SNAP!!

Is there anything special to look for? Any source for the shifter bushing; like bronze?

TIA
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

I call those the stub axles. Four bolts to remove from diff case. There is a press on ring wich holds the bearing and housing in place. You really need a press and bearing extractor plate to support bearing cap while pressing on splined end of stub shaft. . Heating the ring with a torch will help but you may need to make a metal heat shield to prevent damage to the bearing. -Tom P.
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I located the specific info in the manual which states to preheat the locking ring. i took them to a machine shop to swap out the old to new parts. I cautioned them about the bearings.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

last time I took something to a machine shop...they broke a tap off in my crankshaft
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

The shop I located where I currently am did a great job R & R'ing. No bearing damage & did a nice job resurfacing the twin clutch plates.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

you would think that being in Detroit..home of autos in USA...I could find a good mechanicals shop...but when they hear the words Alfa Romeo......ehhhhhh no go....
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Dude,

You've got to source a 'real' machine shop for oddity work. I've moved around alot so I'm adept at this. I ask the right people the right questions. I walked into this shop and could tell immediately they were the 'real deal'.

When someone starts looking at the item and is mentally/verbally doing the job, that's the one. This guy not only managed to do the twin disc, he was astute enough to remove the equal amount from the center spacer to accomodate the re-surfacing. He even did the transaxle stub axle seal replacement w/o f*up the bearings. $30 for those 2.

This shop had old Detroit iron sitting around. However, when he saw my Biturbo and I told him I restored it, his comments were; "it's great to see a car restored"...

They're out there. You just have to find them.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

Lets revisit, I am doing the same (for my 75 3.0 litre), are these common seals or Alfa only?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

cheap from IAP, shipping will probably be more...
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

I managed to get some copies, thanks.