tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

T/S I.D.

Post by tImBoWe »

Is there any way of telling the diference between a standard GTV6 transaxle and a Twin spark one? I've just got hold of a box that come with a spare 75 engine and from what I've read here the T/S box is the ducks nuts as far as ratios goes. Probably build a good one from the two as my 2nd synchro is worn out.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

the front housings are slightly different in that the 4cyl twinspark clutch slave cylinder mounts differently to the way the v6 one does. you will see the difference clearly if you are looking at a v6 and twinspark box side by side.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

External housing may be one but my preference is to remove the crown wheel cover plate and check for the presence of the LSD and confirm the pinion and crown wheel ratio at the same time 41/10.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Got the box and engine the other day. Motor looks to very tidy and low use model 2.5. The box is the same. Any way I pulled the side out of it and found that it has been opened up previously. The crown wheel has SVD and 41/10 stamped on the edge of it. The SVD bit looks to have been punched on by someone other than the factory. On the end of the pinion it has got a couple of Xs, a few lines (running from the centre out)and what looks to be a 26 engraved into it. This definatley does'nt look factory. There seems to be no wear to the mateing surfaces of either piece. Any ideas as to what the markings are or mean? I'm a first time opener of gear boxes and really have no idea to what I'm looking for to confirm wether this is LSD or non LSD. Any easy way to visually identify between the two. :?: :shock: :lol:

Thanx Tim.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

All pinions are hand engraved from the factory, I think it has to do with the shimming height, I have seen this on all boxes I have opened.

The diff unit is very easy to check for LSD, the LSD unit is a cylindrical machined piece which is almost completely sealed up (i.e. you can't see through it). The non-LSD unit is a coarse cast piece wich is much more rounded and you can see the gears inside.

The outside of the boxes have some slight casting/webbing differences between the early/late models but it's not depending on weather it's LSD or not but rather only a year thing.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

O.K cheerz 4 that Mats. Looks to be a non-LSD unit as there are internals visible inside. So are the gears of both boxes totally interchangable? As the GTV6 box has a worn 2nd syncro, I was planning to build up a good one out of the two with the 41/10 final drive ratio. Is there a preferred mix of cogs or should the whole box stay together and just do the 5th syncro swap from one to the other for the 2nd gear.

I havent got the car handy to check out the slave casting or the other differences listed but I'm sure its not the same box. Shes been tottally striped out ready for some rust removal and refabrication. Quite a bit more rust in her than I expected. Pleased we didnt leave it too much longer.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

If it's a TS box, then use it. The ratios are better than the GTV6. Yo can pull good syncro rings and selector dogs from the other box to build a good one.
Here's a pic of the LSD out of my TS box -
Attachments
LSD - now 50% lockout
LSD - now 50% lockout
LSD.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Yeah no, mines definatley not Lsd equipped. So the speedo sender is the same style for the T/S 75 and the last of the GTV6?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

tImBoWe wrote: So are the gears of both boxes totally interchangable? As the GTV6 box has a worn 2nd syncro, I was planning to build up a good one out of the two with the 41/10 final drive ratio. Is there a preferred mix of cogs or should the whole box stay together and just do the 5th syncro swap from one to the other for the 2nd gear.
Gears are not interchangeable, the gears are cut at a different angle between the Alfetta/GTV6 boxes and 75, you should definetly stick with a complete assembly (the 75 one). Synchros are interchangeable and so are the sleeves as far as I can remember.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I think that the '85 & '86 GTV6s had the same sender as the 75s but I'm not sure what diff ratio they ran, so the speedo should work but may read incorrectly.
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Maybe I just try the two of them and see which reads the closest and use that... Thanx for the info. Will update.