GarthW
Verde
Verde

Intercooler/Radiator

Post by GarthW »

I have just recently read that putting a intercooler in front of the radiator
starves it from air coming in at the front? My intercooler is 600x300 so i'm abit miffed if once installed if cooling to radiator will be ok?
:roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

depends on flow...it WILL diminish some flow to radiator no matter what kind...additionally, it will increase the ambient temp reaching the radiator thereby decreasing overall radiator cooling....

make sure you have good pulling fans on radiator back and that your radiator fins are straight and clean, and that the radiator is clean internally, and you should be fine.....
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ah sweet, cheers Xrad :)

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Garth: just know that if you do this setup, you will see an increase engine temp (maybe a few degrees, maybe more...depends on boost/fuel ratio etc, size of intercooler).....sometimes people put in higher effieciency aluminum radiators also

planning out some addition engine bay cooling ducts or hood vents will also help...
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Garth,

Here's a good & easy solution for cooling. My Maserati Biturbo has a pair of air-to-air intercoolers in front of the condenser and radiator like you are doing. Get a tropicaire A/C radiator fan set up (or the others will do) from a late Biturbo. It will literally fit the GTV6 radiator. It's the same one that the Callaway turbo GTV6s used. I paid $60 USD for mine and in fact bought another for spares.

Install is simple.
1. Remove the old fans that suck anyway.
2. Swap the plastic electrical connectors off the GTV6s fans so they'll mate.
3. Slightly raise the Radiator with just the mount bracket removed and disconnect the temp sensors to allow more room.
4. Slip the bottom of the Biturbo fan shroud under the radiator and return the radiator to place. It is a TIGHT install fit, but is fine after you get it in.
5. I used 3 self tapping SS screws to attach the shroud to the radiator top extruded flange.

I haven't seen the car run hot yet in the hot AZ & FL summers in traffic with the A/C or spirited runs. These fans rock.
Attachments
Birurbo-GTV6 Rad Fan In Car 1.jpg
Birurbo-GTV6 Rad Fan In Car 1.jpg (143.22 KiB) Viewed 6496 times
Biturbo-GTV6 Rad Fan Out of Car.jpg
Biturbo-GTV6 Rad Fan Out of Car.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 6496 times
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Garth,

Forgot to state that if you need some assistance for the locating the fans down under, let me know. There's some serious Biturbo gearheads from there locally, Aussies, on a specific forum.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi