eddie
Silver
Silver

Help!!! my plenum keep exploding

Post by eddie »

please need help, my gtv6 dosen't start and it keep blowing the plenum, can someone help me out what to check or do.

82 gtv6 3.0l engine with 87 ingnition bosch system from a milano.
i already check for any air leak, but there is none. those the timing has to do something with this?

thanks
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Could be:

Distributor totally out of phase?
Somebody put plug wires incorrectly?
eddie
Silver
Silver

Post by eddie »

hello Zamani,

thanks for your reply.

i check the fireing order and it look ok 1,4,2,5,3,6.

can it be the fuel? becouse it like +6 month old.

i can't work every day in the car, is on the back yard and here in miami rains almost every day.

also how can i check if the injectors are fireing without taking them off?

i had before a wolf 3d ECU but i took it out, becouse i never was able to fine tune it. but the engine start. now i got a milano ingnition with ECU of a 2.5 but cannot make it to start.

any idea what to check for?

eddie
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Basic, I now, but don't step on the accelerator pedal when getting in the car.... EFI, I know, but don't pump when starting - many inside-out dented hoods here from that plenum popping up on the V6 Milano/75s!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
eddie
Silver
Silver

Post by eddie »

hello junglejustice

Actually I haven’t push the gas when starting, I just hit the switch I get 1 or 2 revolution and blow-up. I am taking a part the engine, EFI, runners, injectors to see if I find something wrong. may be a air leak or something. I will keep posting my progress.

Thanks
Mitch
Silver
Silver

Post by Mitch »

You may have the firing order right but could be off in position by 1. I did this when changing the distributor cap and had this exact problem.
Mitch Wolberg
Denver, CO
69 Berlina - for sale
69 Spider Jr.
88 Verde
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Have you messed with the idle speed control valve on the side of the Plenum? If you get it backed out too far, your plenum will blow, it happened to me once...
eddie
Silver
Silver

Post by eddie »

samW,

Yes I did, but I closed most of it and now go a few more revolutions before it blow up again.

My mechanic said that I have to align the pulley to the P mark instead of the F mark, that’s were I align it. That were the manual said it should be. And of course the distributor on the 1 cylinder. So I should put it in the F or P Mark?

Thanks
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

P = Punto or TDC.

I'm not sure what you are aligning though. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

If you are lining up the timing belt, use the P and the cam marks, if you are timing it with a timing light, use the F mark, actually you can give it a little more advance than the P, but it is a good starting point.

If you have moved the idle control valve, have you adjusted the throttle body? Turn the stop screw in as much as possible until the butterfly closes on its own without touching the stop screw, then back the screw out enough so that it just rests on the stop screw, then reset you throttle position sensor so that you can just hear it click when it get's in the full closed position.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Check the wire to the Distributor, it's probably plugged in the reversed position!
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Reanimating the old topic here...
Car was ok when i was driving it 3 days ago, and out of the blue, mine just popped this morning when I wanted to fire her up. I havent even touched distributor or idle control or whatsoever, just wanted to start the car after 3 days of last ride... Reinstalled it again, disconnected the csi and fired without problem, let her cool down for few hours and started right up (with the csi plugged this time). I know that distributor has been covered here but it doesn't make sense to me in my case :? Any ideas?