Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Fuel Pump Checkout Results

Post by Alan Dezzani »

With the fuel pump installed on the car, I measured the voltage across its terminals when engaging the starter. The voltage was just under 7-VDC.
Should this voltage be higher? I also checked the fuel pump by moving the vane on the air flow sensor, with the key set to the second position (the next being that which engages the starter). When the vane was moved, I did not hear the pump functioning. Are there any other sound I should listen for when moving the vane, such as a relay clicking? And is there a way to check that the air flow sensor is working, with regards to fuel pump operation?
Prior to replacing the fuel pump, the motor would run for a few seconds. I assumed this was due to the cold start injector. When I changed the fuel pump, the fuel system was drained. Afterwards, when attempting to start the engine, this momentary ignition did not occur. The assumption is that the system is drained and not being supplied with fuel. So I'm now wondering if the new fuel pump is not functioning. As I mentioned in another post, during installation, the fuel pump dropped a short distance to the ground when the factory original rubber inlet hose broke.