1985gtv6
Silver
Silver

Help with keys...

Post by 1985gtv6 »

Hi. Picked up a 1985 GTV6 that had been sitting for a couple of years. The keys are lost. Can someone tell me if the key is the same for the doors and ignition? I'd like to take just a door handle/lock to a locksmith rather bring a locksmith to the car. Thanks!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Help with keys...

Post by kevin »

No the keys are different . Doors and boot are same . Easier to take boot lock out but remember exactly how it went back .
To take ignition out you have to drill out a grub screw on the under side . These grub srcrews were designed to break off when you install the new locks .
1985gtv6
Silver
Silver

Post by 1985gtv6 »

Hmm. I don't see anything under the switch but column. There's a nub right behind where the wires go in that might be something. It actually looks like it would be hard to just remove the column.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

It can actually take 2o mins to take lock out . No need to take column out . Been a while but just use mirror to see the hole . I think its about 6mm diameter . Take plastic covers off but to remove top plastic cover just remove steering adjustment bolt . You will probably put bolt back so its rigid when you drill into lock . I have a few spare locks in my tool boxes . I will find a pic .
Some older GTV you had to cut some of the wires on the lock as as they did not have bayonet fittings .
1985gtv6
Silver
Silver

Post by 1985gtv6 »

OkAy, that sounds right. I'm looking at the correct part then. I'll give it a shot...
1985gtv6
Silver
Silver

Post by 1985gtv6 »

Got it! Took about ten minutes. I sawed a slot in the bolt (and column) and took it out with a flat head screwdriver. I can even reuse the bolt.
Attachments
IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG (48.53 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Aha l great going . Definitely will try that on my next one as these locks do pack from all the years of work that's why if its good protect it with a relay .