speedbird119
Silver
Silver

86 GTV6 - won't start

Post by speedbird119 »

Hi guys,

I'm new here, just bought an 86 GTV6 and it arrived from the shipper dead. PO said it started fine before. But for me when I turn the key--Nothing, zero noises, no clicking or anything really. All interior electrics, lights, etc. still work. I've recharged the battery, but no luck. We had to jump start it off the truck, so I know it runs fine.

My first attempt at cleaning up the starter wire connections at the firewall did not seem to do anything, and having gone thru this forum section just can't seem to find the source of the problem whether it be the starter motor, brushes, wires, etc.

Any ideas where to look? All help much appreciated, as I'm not keen to take it to the mechanic right away after the gangster shipping fees and the holidays...I'm in SoCal and would use Omega Motorsports eventually (used to drive a 71 GTV for 6 years).

Thanks,

Mike
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: 86 GTV6 - won't start

Post by MD »

Could be the ye olde ignition switch is not making contact to provide spark and solenoid contact. Try hot wiring it by identifying these wires and providing power external of the ingition switch.

If it fires up, you need a new one.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
speedbird119
Silver
Silver

Post by speedbird119 »

Well to report back in, today the car fired up like all was normal. My only efforts made were to ensure all the engine and battery connections were clean and made good contact, but that didn't work a week ago.

I did not attempt to hot wire as advised, (didn't have any free spare car time actually), but just decided to see what happens this morning...and bam! sure enough it started. Made some rather sexy noise I must say.

I'm not complaining tho, and will update again as I not 100% convinced for the long term success of my efforts. :roll:

Best,

Mike
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Check the grounds in the left front corner (driver's side in the U.S.) of the engine bay.

Are you a British Airways pilot?

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
speedbird119
Silver
Silver

Post by speedbird119 »

Greg Gordon wrote:Check the grounds in the left front corner (driver's side in the U.S.) of the engine bay.
Are you a British Airways pilot?
Thanks Greg, I will!

No, I bought the Timefactors homage pilot watch years ago PRS-1 Speedbird. My serial number was 119/300 and have used that call sign for the net ever since...love the notion tho.

~M