superfly tnt
Silver
Silver

motronic V6 timing

Post by superfly tnt »

what does influence the timing on a 164 motronic based 3.0 12v engine?

rpm sensor of course, but is there anything else like the AFM or TPS?

thank you
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: motronic V6 timing

Post by kevin »

Crank angle sensor on front pulley dictates timing combined with cam angle sensor on back of right bank(behind cylinder head) . Cam angle sensor is neccesary if you want to run full sequential on aftermarket ecu. If timing goes out its normally the rubber dampner in front pulley thats come adrift.
ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Re: motronic V6 timing

Post by ChrisS »

Talking older 12V motors, the load is given by the AFM. TPS is a switch rather than a pot, so only indicates idle, WOT, or somewhere in between. Crank trigger gives crank angle and speed of course, so given load from AFM, temperature from water temp sender, you can then pick your timing from the map.

Cam angle isn't monitored on any of the 12V motors I have seen myself, but my experience isn't exactly that broad. My 155 V6 (12V motor) has some of the fittings for a cam angle sensor but hasn't got one installed.

All the 24V motors run sequential injection so have cam angle sensors of course. Cam angle won't influence spark timing though.

FWIW, I run my boosted 12V with a cam angle sensor and sequential injection, using a blended setup of TPS and MAP sensor for load input.

HTH