crusaderchuck
Silver
Silver

1984 GTV6 Ign. Switch Lock Cylinder Removal & Replacement

Post by crusaderchuck »

The shop manual does not cover the procedure for removal and reinstallation of the ignition lock / switch assembly. How do I get the assembly out and install the new one?

No bolts, no set screws on the column. grrrrr..... What is the "key" to doing this right?

Thank you.
Chuck
Charles F. Christ Sr.
"Chuck"
Murray
Verde
Verde

Re: 1984 GTV6 Ign. Switch Lock Cylinder Removal & Replacement

Post by Murray »

Chuck the switch is held to the column with a breakaway security bolt.The head of the bolt breaks off on installation and all that remains is the shaft.What you need to do is get a mirror and a small cutting wheel.Postion the mirror against the dash looking back towards the switch.You will see the shaft of the bolt about an inch away from the column facing the dash.With the cutting wheel you need to create a slot in the bolt shaft and then use a stubby slothead screwdriver to turn it out
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
crusaderchuck
Silver
Silver

Post by crusaderchuck »

Murry, thanks!

Currently I have removed the old assembly and have the new part in hand. The owner purchased the new assembly and I have a concern because these new ones are slightly different and have no provision for illumination of the ignition switch or activation of seat belt and ignition buzzers.

The electrical portion of the switch is fine, ie: the part to turn car on/off.

It is an Italian made switch. I was informed they no longer produce the original assembly, this is supposed to be the direct replacement.

Again, thank you for helping me find top secret breakaway bolt! It was a joy to remove! Not. I'll let you know how I make out with the new switch.

Chuck
Charles F. Christ Sr.
"Chuck"
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Never heard of a GTV with illuminated switch or door/seatbelt chimes/buzzer. :shock:

Must be lovely to be rid of that stuff eh? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
crusaderchuck
Silver
Silver

Post by crusaderchuck »

Being an owner of some fine Swedish machinery, 2-stroke style that is, this Italian modern automobile is driving me nuts! lol!!

I believe all the bells and ringers are part of silly American Federal requirement import stuff.

Starting to think this car has its own troll. Ring-a-ding-ding works for me! I road race and hillclimb a 1960 SAAB 93F and 1967 SAAB powered sports racer. Also have street car, 1967 SAAB 96, that is a hoot to driver here on the mountain roads and wintertime.

Back to the Alfa. Tomorrow the sun shall rise over the Eastern United States and a very special red Alfa GTV6 will be the recipient of a brand new ignition switch......then we will see what happens next!

Today's work was back to the tree farm silver box truck named they named "Butch" (I do not want to know why!). The owner wanted more work on it, ie: horn for inspection, engine oil cooler lines (had to fabricate- no longer available from GM), and properly plumb transmission cooler. All this during the hot, humid days of summer. But that's OK! Another happy vehicle!

Chuck
Charles F. Christ Sr.
"Chuck"
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Saab lovers everywhere... :)

Rode the new 9-5 to lunch yesterday, quite a bit better then the Insignia which is it's sister car. Good stuff.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
crusaderchuck
Silver
Silver

Post by crusaderchuck »

I am unfamiliar with the cars you speak of. I didn't know SAAB made any 4 stroke models. :shock:

Today GTV6 ingnition switch goes in. Will update you later on that!
Charles F. Christ Sr.
"Chuck"