mmelton
Silver
Silver

Indexing NGKs?

Post by mmelton »

My last set of Golden Lodges are on their last legs. I'd seen a consensus here that NGKs were the way to go (I've tried Bosch Platinum +4s and wasn't happy with them), and after re-reading some of those posts I bought a set of NGK's BP6ESs. I guess I'd expected them to have four ground electrodes like the Lodges. When I saw they were the traditional single electrode type, I thought I'd better ask you all before I installed them:

Do they need to be indexed? That is, do I need to mark the direction the electrode points and make sure to line it up between the valves to prevent burning a valve? (I've had that problem on a Spider and have been told by people whose opinon I've learned to trust that it was caused by that spark gap pointing directly at the edge of a valve.) Does this matter on the V6, or do you all just gap 'em, screw 'em in, torque 'em down, and run 'em without any worry?

If I DO need to index them, how are the valves arranged vis a vis the valve cover? Or, more to the point, in what direction (looking at the plug wells and the valve cover) should I aim that gap?

Thanks for your help.
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Indexing NGKs?

Post by Mats »

Which engine is this?

I stay away from the Protruding tip for my Nord. B7ES and not BP7ES.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mmelton
Silver
Silver

Post by mmelton »

Thanks, Mats.

This is a 2.5 engine You are right, of course: The standard recommendation here for NGKs is B7ES. But several people noted that the slightly hotter BP6ES was the ticket if the plugs were oiling (which mine are...a little). Are the B7ESs four-electrode plugs? After many years with Lodges (and some unsatisfactory experimentation with others) I'd be more comfortable with the traditional setup. Although, as I said, I wasn't happy with the Bosch Platinum +4s. Ran them in the '85 and a new set of Golden Lodges in the '86 for direct comparison. The difference was quite apparent, and the '85 was much happer when I replaced the Bosch with Lodge (maybe IAP's last set).
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

7's are not really cold, very allround by any standards and does not foul easily.
6's should work well too but then go for B6ES, i.e. not P.
P moves the spark lower in the combustion chamber and actually change the need for advance, may not make a differance in a std engine but can wreck a tuned engine. :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!