zambon
Verde
Verde

battery relocation on 75

Post by zambon »

I want to move the battery to the trunk on my V6 Milano. I have the dash loose at the moment and I figure this is a good time to run the wire through the firewall. My first question is about the wire. I have some Stinger brand four gauge wire that was used in a stereo in a previous car, but I worry that I need something larger. Am I better off going down to the auto parts store and picking up whatever their largest battery cable is? What cable does the GTV6 use?

Since I am in Mexico and it is hard to get nice things here, I was thinking I would buy a simple plastic battery box (non sealed). I was planning to put the battery on the right side, as far forward as possible. Is this location advised?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Get some 2 gauge Moroso blue wire...works fine and not expensive

the one on the left
Attachments
74055_part.jpg
74055_part.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 5980 times
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thanks x-rad, I will go with 2 gauge then.

About location, should the battery be located toward the front of the trunk (nearest the passenger compartment), or should it go full rear to get the greatest shift in balance?
I have not weighed my car, but with the battery relocation I think might be able to achieve a rear weight bias. My car is a Gold 3.0 with no AC and no power steering. It also has a 6lb composite hood and 4lb trunk lid.
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

I wouldn't bet on rear bias; stock bumpers are way too heavy, especially the front one. I would put the battery so that the mounting holes on the bottom are easily accessible and as far forward as possible. I think the reduced polar moment is more important in this case than the static weight distribution (which will hardly change with moving the battery from the rear to the front of the trunk). Of course if the car is a daily (or at least weekend) driver I would also consider how much room it takes away from the trunk.

____
here are some pics of what the guys did in the rsae car:
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rsae/pictures/ ... index.html
they used some relocation kit from summit. NOT recommended :)
Rice SAE
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

In that case, might I be better off putting the battery in the rear left side footwell? Battery in the cabin would be a safety issue, I guess I would need to get a nice battery box to do that...

The car is daily driven at the moment, but I dont care very much about practical utility.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Zambon,

you may have a better chance finding the cable you need at a welding or industrial supply house instead of the auto supply. Oh, also a truck (semi) supply might be good.

good hunting,
Scott
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

I would go with the trunk rather than the (right?) rear footwell unless you really need trunk space. You will have to consider either running a "dry" battery or some "sponging" in a sealed and vented box. Definitely an option, but not my personal choice.
Rice SAE
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Trunk space isnt a big concern for me. I think I will stay with the plan for the trunk.
MR2- Thanks for the suggestion of welder cable, I will be checking into that.