x
Gold
Gold

GTV 2.0 SPEEDOMETER PROBLEM

Post by x »

Hello to all you GTV freaks out there!
After 10 years of browsing through this site i finally decided to become a member!Hope to see you all keeping these cars alive for the next 10 years (at least!!) as well.
Any way my problem goes like thιs: Μy GTV 2.0 (1980) has the electronic type speedometer (Veglia, 240 kph), but it doesn't show the correct speed no matter how hard the instrument repair man tries! Is it possible to change to the cable type speedometer while retaining the former appearance of the instrument? I got myself one of the cable type speedometers hoping i can transplant the mechanism of it to my current instrument. As far as the speedometer sender is concerned my mechanic told me it is a simple swap: you take of the sender of the electronic speedometer and replace it with the cable of the cable driven instrument. My car has the GTV 2.0 speedometer sender and not the 75 unit.The sender for the current electronic speedometer is brand new and the spares guy swore it is the correct type for this car. Am i in the right path or should i blow the car up because this has been driving me nuts for two weeks now!!
Thank you for your patience!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Post a pic of the sender unit in the box...
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Hi, Barry!
I do not have a photo of the sender right now (i'll try and post one) but i can tell you it read something like 'Veglia B6...'Any way now that i am busting my brains out i wonder if the problem lies in the sender although there are a million types of them hooking to different speedometers.How can i be sure which is right for my case or if it is still available?And in case i can convert to cable drive will i be able to retain all the functions of my instrument (instrument lighting, hi-beam light etc).I really am desperate! Thank you for your answer though!! :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

The unit used in the gtv6 is round..all other cars have hexagonal sender units..
If you have a round unit fitted ,it will work on all gtv6 speedos..

Where in Athens are you??Papagos??
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Barry,
my car has indeed a round sender unit and i assume from your saying that it is a gtv6 unit (does that mean that my gearbox is from a gtv6 as well?). I can't help asking though whether late GTV4s have round sender units as well or not? I live in Ag. Paraskevi actually,which is next to Papagos! In fact it is about 1 km from where JimGreek lives (the GURU! i'll give him a call and eventually ask for his opinion about the matter.) Thank you for posting back.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

You have brought up a good point here..Im presuming all gtv`s used the round sender unit,as this is the case with all S.A. gtv`s..

Maybe somewhere else in this crazy world they used something else??I doubt it but you never know..

Give Jim a shout..after he shoots you he will help...haha..

You got his cell number??

pm me for it..
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mr X

Here is a bit more help.
You can fit a mechanical speedo head, drive cable and power it up to work indicator repeater lights and back light provided you can satisfy the following:-
1 You are happy to have a blue dial plate instead of black and white one.
2 Your original "round" Veglia sender looked like the one on the bottom of this photo. (imagine it together of course)

If it does, the mechanically operated speedo head will work. If the senders are anything like the others in the photo, it will not work unless you take the gearbox apart and make some modifications inside it which I will not describe here to keep things simple. If you need more clarification, send me a PM.
Attachments
3 Sender Interiors and covers.jpg
3 Sender Interiors and covers.jpg (144.83 KiB) Viewed 11885 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah Barry, thanks for the plug!
He called and I told him where to go and what he can do with his car, heheh! (I even sent him to the yellow pages looking for Vaseline wholesale!) :lol:
He's one of the local club guys.
Jim K.
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Hi guys,
ι am very pleased at the fact that quite a few people are helping with this speedometer problem of mine. Anyway MD: my sender looks exactly like the round one in your picture but i'm afraid my speedometer is the one used in GTV4s instead of GTV6s and i definitely know these two are sort of different.
On the other hand there are differencies in the numbers that are on the round senders as well.I' ll try and get some numbers tomorrow.
I got myself some Jaeger cable driven speedometer today but as i figure it out it will be difficult to tranplant the mechanicals while retaining the former appearance of the instrument!I'll have some news tomorrow.
By the way that is an amazing car you got there MD :)
After two major collisions (one of them with a BUS), two body, three engine and two interior rebuilts (all in the same car) i'm feeling like a rookie again!!
Hi Jim,
i think it would be a generous offer from me to you if i traded my GTV's screenwasher bottle and my spare tyre with your two (or is it three?) milanos, hehehe :twisted:
Anyway have you any ideas man?And thanks everyone for posting!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ahhhh, do I have any ideas...I sure do but you don't want to hear half of them, heheh! :twisted: Put a V6 in your shiitbox and THEN call me!!
Jim K.
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

I know, i know Jim but until then i think i'll try to find a Veglia Electronic speedometer (BLACK FACE) cause i don't want to have a blue dial plate as MD said. I suppose you couldn't locate such a gem for me or could you? :roll:
Anyway i hope i'll see you soon because now i have no excuse man!
It seems that you won't get rid of me easily!!
Thanks for posting!! :wink:

PS:if anyone has any idea where to find such a thing let me know.Thanks!!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

MR X
Thanks for the compliment about the car. We try hard to please. Unlike some who are easily pleased like JK playing tiddly winks in the olive grove instead of working his ass off so we can buy that friggin V6 book.He he. :lol:

Mate, on a more serious note understand this:

All 116 GTV speedos work the same not matter how they may slightly look different except the mechanical one on the early series. They respond to the same type of signal once they get it.

What is different is that the signal sources vary causing all the drama that people have of making things compatible if they change transmissions.

What to do?

1 Get an original Veglia sender not a Jaeger and install in gearbox.
2 Install a replacement Veglia speedo head from any GTV.

Now how simple is that? From what I am reading you are saying, you are doing a frantic mix of this and that not having a real handle on the problem. Stop.

I have tried to simplify the situation for you because it really is.

If I was explaining this to JK, I would write it in large letters too. -You know to help out. :D and if I was explaining it to Barry, I would type it sideways 'cause that's how they do things in SA (mostly driving). :lol:

I think I need to leave town for a couple days until things cool down...(you wanted fun Bazza)
Last edited by MD on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Thanks for posting MD.
My sender is indeed a Veglia one and i'm hoping i'll get my hands on a Veglia gauge as well because the instrument repair man says mine does some crazy things now after so much fiddling with the circuit.
You are right though, sometimes i tend to complicate things but until i get a replacement gauge (which seems very hard to find) i'm without a speedo.
Anyway thanks again for the help mate :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mike,yea,I also seem to have ruffled a few feathers --AGAIN...
Oh,well....Ill also be taking a sabbatical here..

X,(wtf is your name??)I have these speedos in boxes in my workshop..Im shipping valves to JK very soon..If you can wait Ill pop a speedo unit into the package for you....let me know..
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Pleased to help X ( I thought MD was short enough but you take the cake)

Bazza, take heart. Whenever we stick our necks out there is always the risk it may not turn out as one would anticipate or hope. It is also difficult to lighten up and shoot the breeze without knowing everybody's sense of humour. I just figure that if I do it long enough, readers will just accept that that is who I am. Mr Looney Tunes. I also accept that not everyone can generate humour and that's ok too.

The site can be a little intimidating but I would just urge everyone to let it loose and enjoy this wonderful site to foster good mateship and a greater enjoyment of our unique cars.

So Bazza for your penance, take yourself around the back and give yourself a good flogging for being a bad boy (again) but just don't take any videos. It's not something this "G" rated site could put up with.He He.