Exception
Silver
Silver

O2 Sensor connector woes

Post by Exception »

Hi folks,

I shipped my US-Spec GTV6 to the states, together with my own body, and am living here now. In order to get it through emissions, I have re-installed the catalytic converters which were taken out by the previous owner. He also took out the Oxygen sensor, and the connector wire. I willneed one of those. I head a Ford Taurus V6 one will work for little $'s, but from what year? I know where the actual sensor wires comes from (metal protected computer wire from the cabin into the bay), but have no idea where I can find the connectors for the heating element, and possibly the exhaust temp meter thing. Can someone help me out with some advice? I had a garage here quote me 690 dollars to do this work, and I really don't have that kind of money, nor do I think this is correct, so I want to try and do it myself.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I need to go take a look at mine, but most three wire O2 should work, the two heating element wires are a standard bosch 2 wire connector (I need to look to make sure) and then there is a single wire (green I think) for the signal, both should be at the fire wall on the passenger side right around where the grounds on the valve cover are and they snake down that side of the engine bay under the car (the wires attached to the O2 sensor) and there should be a wire holder under the car to keep the wire away from the exhaust.

What year is yours, all of this is for the later GTV6. If you need more help I can take pictures tonight.

SamW
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your response.
This is from a '83 us spec GTV6. I have found the sensor wire coming out of the computer. It is broken off somewhere around the firewall area. I am unable to locate the heater connector wires...
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

That is not good news, not sure what to tell you about that, the sensor wire is sheilded/insulated, so I don't think it will be as easy as spicing it with another wire.
shures
Gold
Gold

Post by shures »

Exception

I can tell you that my '85 GTV-6 has a O2 sensor from a 1992 Mustang V-8 5.0 and it will pass emissions. I bought it online for $51 delivered online and the invoice says "Auto Medic Supply." You might be able to pass without the heater because once the car is hot the heater doesn't do anything anyway. I would try it and then if that doesn't work see if you can meet up with someone who has the same year car and trace the wiring. A wire diagram (check your manual) will tell you the color coding and the wires should be close to the sensor wire.

Where are you located?

Feel free to PM me if I can help
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Guys,

Narrow band oxygen sensors are pretty much interchangeable, so long as the thread and reach of the sensors match. For instance my GTV has a Renault sourced (scrapyard) sensor in CSC manifolds !

Don't fuss about the wiring on any generic 3 wire sensor, it's easily checked out with a continuity tester or multimeter or test light and battery etc.... Simply test continuity of any 2 of your 3 wires, then try different combinations....

The pair of wires that have continuity are your heater circuit. The single wire without any continuity to either of the other two is therefore your sensor wire. Bear in mind that your sensor "heater" is simply a resistance coil, and therefore polarity insensitive. So if you can't find the factory heater wiring just run one of the sensor heater wires to ground, the other to 12v source that's live when the engine is running (ie fuel pump power circuit) and connect the sensor wire to the ECU.

Simple as that.

If you can't find ANY of the O2 sensor wiring, the sensor signal goes to pin 24 on the L-jet ECU, and don't worry unduly about the power draw of the heater circuit, it will draw at most 2amps when cold, reducing as it gets hotter to less than 1/2 amp at working temp. Put an inline fuse in for piece of mind.

Hope that helps.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged