Neil McC
Silver
Silver

Brake light on/off reversed!!

Post by Neil McC »

The brake lights on my 75/Milano stopped working a few days ago. Bulbs tested OK. I looked under the dashboard and the switch on the pedal wasn't even toucing the pedal. That seemed at bit odd, as surely that should mean the lights would be fixed ON. I removed the switch and opened it up. There seemed to be some blackening around some of the little terminals inside the switch. I came to the conclusion the switch must have unscrewed itself away from the pedal, the lights probably were fixed on for a while and eventually burnt out these little connectors. Cleaned up all the terminals and got the switch working again, confirmed by my multimeter. Re-fitted it but now the brake lights are permanently on, except when I press the brake pedal and they go out!!! It's not possible to plug in the wires to the switch the wrong way round. Anybody know what's going on??

Neil.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

if it's like the GTV6 circuit is simple....pulls power from fuse block to pedal switch and then line runs to tail lights...and then to ground

check line from fuse to pedal switch...if switch overheated...line may have too and shorted with an adjacent line

new switches are about 14$ at the pedal. may just want to run new line from fuse block to pedal switch as well.

Also, I would unhook your battery while this is being figured out..
Neil McC
Silver
Silver

Post by Neil McC »

OK, most sensible alfistsi will have heart failure over this. After much hunting around I still couldn't find a reason for the brake lights being on/off the wrong way round from usual. Eventually took a pair of scissors and cut the flanges off the connector which plugs into the switch, allowing me to plug it in back to front. Hey presto! the problem is fixed!! Only problem now is I'm constantly waiting for a nasty burning smell to appear from somewhere, or worse, although it hasn't happened yet.

N.