MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

How to clean the O2 sensor

Post by MR2 Zig »

How do you clean the O2 sensor? Wire brush? Chemical (which one)?

Thanks,
Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I'm sure there is a way to clean them, but I just got a Ford 89 Mustang Bosch O2 sensor, new costs 40$.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

looks like napaonline has them for about 22 for the generic one and 40 for the direct replacement one. Mind you that's for the single wire O 2 sensor.

looks like if you want the 1 wire sensor you need to ask for it by the 1981 Alfa GTV6....if you ask for an 83 you get the 3 wire version.

Thanks,
scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Still much cheaper than Alfa parts stores! I have the three wire but only hooked up the sensor, not the heater...

The fun part is trying to remove a twenty something yr old sensor from the bung. I ended up cutting the whole thing out and welding in a new bung. 5$ from exhaust stores...
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Yeah, I bet you had fun getting the old one out. I know how cars get in that part of the world....I was born there, at Garden City Hospital.
Now I'm in the land of only a little bit easier to work on cars, The Peoples Republic of California. We have smog check II with a free dyno run for every inspection (@ 15 &25 mph)

scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Get the 'F' outta here! I worked there for two years. I lived on Lathers!

Luckily, my car comes from Jersey (only salty moist air) but spent most of its life in Texas! I have seen Alfas disintegrate in several years here in the local lots...

We don't have any kind of mandatory pollution or safety checks here (This is Ford country....literally!)