Jake
Silver
Silver

Maserati Engine in a GTV6 ?

Post by Jake »

I was speaking to my mechanic, who just told me that he heard you can just drop in a Maserati V6 Twin Turbo into an Alfa GTV6. I this true ? could be, somewhere i heard alfas used to make the old maserati's, not to sure tho
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Yes you can ,
you will have to make some arrangements for the flywheel and make some room for the cooling system .
In the end of the day a costum built TT alfa engine isn't less potent than the Masserati one and may be easier to fit perfectly.
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

yea, and why would you want to trade one head ache for another? i mean the maserati parts are prob more difficult to find than alfa gtv6 parts. i heard from someone who has driven one of the biturbos that the turbo lag is complete garbage and the car is such a dog before they spool up. it probably sounds just as nice though...
Jake
Silver
Silver

Post by Jake »

ahhhhh very true guys, thanx
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

if i remenber its a 90° ve...

so it translate to awesome headacke for eshaust, maintenance..Ect...

:?
2 stroke addict
Alfisto Steve
Silver
Silver

Why not the other way around

Post by Alfisto Steve »

Alfa 3.0 conversion into Biturbo Maserati coupe would make more sense. Much more room in Maserati for Alfa set up than for Maser in GTV6.
Alfisto Steve
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

I've read up on those BeeeeeTurbos and came to the conclusion that they just didn't spec out as well as our transaxle cars. A well tuned Maser probably goes pretty well, but they are nose heavy, have solid front rotors, the 90 degree rough cob vee6, rear-toe changing semi-trailing arm suspension, and not as good looking as the GTV6. Add a well tuned 3.0L and the performance advantage goes away. Also, the early cars had carbs! It does have three valves per cylinder but that's about it as far as I can see.
Now I admit that having something different is always interesting, and I thought it pretty cool seeing one on the track at a club track day a few years back, but otherwise it seems like an inferior car to our Alfas. Neither a Maser engine in an Alfa or an Alfa engine in a Maserati seem to add up to me.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Merril,
I think that the author was reffering to a new age Masser 3.2TT engine that comes in the Biturbo Coupe rather than the old gen 2.2 3 valves per cyl engine that came in the less sportive salon cars.
A well built turbo 12v alfa motor could supply very good power from lowdown to 7K redline ,furthermore going single turbo on a 12v would even clear some room for A/C and power steering to the lazy ones:)
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
Octopussy
Silver
Silver

Post by Octopussy »

would the maserati's turbos be a resonable addition to the Alfa V6 :?:
Alex
84 GTV6
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Giulietta24vTT wrote:Merril,
I think that the author was reffering to a new age Masser 3.2TT engine that comes in the Biturbo Coupe rather than the old gen 2.2 3 valves per cyl engine that came in the less sportive salon cars.

I don't think so, because Jake wrote he heard about the V6 biturbos.
The 3.2 liter one is a V8 appeard the first time in 89 in the Shamal.
Anyway at the same time they launched a new generation of V6s as well with 24v and 2-3 years later a 2-liter model was capable to produce 306 HP in a Ghibli or 335 in a Ghibli Cup in the middle of 90's.
Anyway I think it's a way better to upgrade our V6s with turbos than go for a 'mule car'.