Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Made a couple new supercharging videos and a Callaway vid

Post by gtv-racer »

nice vid's 8) .I like the milano 2.0 ltr. Very nice setup with the throtle body in front of the charger. Not the wine all the time.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks, the throttle body location does help with noise. However I located it too far from the supercharger, that's been cleaned up in the next version.

Greg
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn that Milano is really nice Greg, sounds great and goes very well. The engine bay setup is very nice, that air to air unit in the front is very good.

Is that you talking Greg? Love that American accent!

Did you have a chance to drive the Callaway..?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Garth,

Yes, that's me talking. It's always interesting to hear people from the other side of the planet.

I did drive the Callaway, in fact it's still here my shop. I am replacing all the fuel lines, various other hoses, and generally looking over everything to make sure it's ready for service. The Callaway is very impressive, especially considering it was done in 1985.

Greg Gordon,
www.okinjectors.com
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Yes, that it is...i play XBOX live with americans all the time, and when they hear me they are like, "Are you british?" "No mate, aussie" Then its all "G'day mate" etc. :)

Thats great you can drive the Callaway, a very rare GTV6 indeed.

Well i finally get my new camcorder next week, dying to do some filming. Just waiting on a new intercooler then i'm back on the road... 8)

Hey Greg, any chance you can do a quick vid whilst you are driving the Callaway...? :D

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Nice videos, me want more! :lol:

Greg, what do you think about Eaton M62 for 24v? For example 8 psi @ 6K rpm..?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Garth,

I am sure there will be a chance to make a Callaway driving video with the owner driving it. Personally I don't want to drive it too much, it's just so rare it scares me a little. I do plan to make a better engine compartment video, longer and in higher resolution.

killaz: I think the M62 is a little too small for a 24 valver. It's about the perfect size for a 2.5 12 valver, a little small on the 3.0, but on a 3.0 24 valve engine it would have to work really hard and I don't think it would be a good choice. I would go with a M90, the new TVS 1320 or a screw type supercharger in the 80-100 cubic inch range.

Greg Gordon,
www.okinjectors.com
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Thank you!

One more thing, couldn't find good info to compare M90 and Vortech V1. What do you think about Vortech? I know only that it's different type of build and that it acts almost like turbocharger. :|
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The Vortech is a very poor choice for the Alfa engine. The Vortech and other centrifugal blowers just don't add enough in the low and middle rpm ranges. An argument could be made that you will get a little more peak horsepower with the Vortech, but by the time it really starts pulling the M90 supercharged Alfa will be long gone. These centrifugals, Vortech, Procharger, Paxton, etc. can work out well on large displacement V8s, but that's about it.

In actuality, any of the other choices, M90, TVS, or Lysholm can be set up to give enough power to break the transaxle, so they are all really equal for peak horsepower in this application.

Now, if you had a front mounted gearbox, and a really strong diff. the M90 would be limiting leaving us with a tough choice between the TVS 1320 and a Lysholm. The latest Lysholms from Sprintex look really really good. I have a tiny (1 liter) Sprintex sitting here right now.

Greg
gaborb
Silver
Silver

Post by gaborb »

Hi Greg,

These are great new videos you posted!

Bought your book a few weeks (months?) back and read through it briefly once, as i'm considering supercharging.

Do you think a 3.0 12V GTV6 with an M90 (e.g off Thunderbird 3.8 ) can be made as quiet as the 4cyl Milano you posted? Without relocating the throttlebody?

Have you already experienced the noise level of the older Eatons vs TVS1320?

Thanks!
Gabor

Greg Gordon wrote:I made a few new supercharged car videos:

1. Milano 2.0 4cyl driving around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9w6yG4QD_4

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
http://www.okinjectors.com
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Gaborb,

First of all thanks for buying my book!

Here are the answers to the questions you posted.

1. No. I don't think you could ever make the M90 that quiet without relocating the throttle. You could quiet the thing down some by plumbing the bypass valve back into the intake. I have actually seen some people put mufflers in the pipes to quiet things down. However the bottom line is this: With the throttle after the supercharger, the supercharger will be pumping a lot of air anytime the engine is running. It may not be building pressure because it recirculates to the intake side (normally) but it's still pumping. Pumping air makes noise. It will never be as quiet as the same setup with the throttle on the intake side.

I have played with the noise issue a lot. If you want it quiet when driving off boost, put the throttle before the supercharger.

At this point I have not even seen an Eaton TVS, let alone an aftermarket version. They are out there, but not yet common. I am pretty sure the sound level is about the same as the older Eatons, at least with the bypass open. I suspect the TVS will make a little more noise on boost.

Greg Gordon
www.okinjectors.com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Here is a video from our last Race here in sweden, supercharged 75 V6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6IBf6m5yYo

Incredible noise all the time, I actually had a hard time filming the engine bay due to the loudness of the supercharger.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks for posting that!

I actually know who owns that car. He bought a book from me to help make his own kit. I think he used a supercharger from a Mercedes, but I can't remember. In any case that supercharger is loud for two main reasons, first the throttle location, second, the bypass valve goes straight into the atmosphere. You probably couldn't design it to be louder if you wanted to. However, it's a race car! It should be loud, the car sounds great going down the straights. I think this was his first outing in the car and I hear it did pretty well.

I like the section at about 5:10. The supercharged #66 car thunders ahead!

Great video Mats, if it's too loud you are too old.

Greg Gordon,
www.okinjectors.com
gaborb
Silver
Silver

Post by gaborb »

Thanks for your reply Greg!

Actually I was more worried about the noise when boost is on, as I have no experience with superchargers and getting an idea of noise level from various Eaton charged car videos might not be the most clever idea. But the loudness for sure will be a key factor for me making my decision to start a project...

While I'm impressed with the possible low rpm torque from the supercharger, I don't like the whine that much. One of your older video from your youtube channel is kind of the limit for me, so by making it much more quiet with the help of throttlebody/bypass valves or even using Raamat is my only hope. :)

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this topic, I'll definitely open my own once I start building during winter.

Gabor