Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: Inlet Manifold Design

Post by Duk »

Dual length manifolds so seem more common on engines with fixed camshaft timing.
But Toyota did use interlinked dual plenum chambers on some of its 6 cylinder engines, both straight 6 and V6 without any form of variable cam timing. And there was that Nissan engine I posted a pic at the very beginning of the thread.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yeah I still have a weakness for the first Ford Taurus SHO engine engineered by Yamaha.
I had an 89 and it was an early application of variable length intake runners.Worked extremely well.Don't believe there was any camshaft timing trickery involved.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

It seems like the Porsche Varioram is probably the most devoted variable harmonics inlet manifold. It uses 3 different stages of dual length and divided plenum chambers. Long runners/divided plenums, short runners/divided plenums and short runners joined plenums.
Attachments
admision resonante vario ramp Porsche esquemas.jpg
admision resonante vario ramp Porsche esquemas.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

The 360 Fezza works the same. Dependent on revs and throttle position.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

The Ferrari F360 manifolds only have 2 different states not 3 like the Porsche system.
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

The 360 has long runners, short runners and a valve between the two plenums that either joins the Two to make 1 large plenum or when closed keeps them separated.