GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: What sort of Alfa cars we want

Post by GTV27 »

thank you thank you, you've been a great crowd, I'm here all week, try the fish :D
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jason, the ultimate loyalty test.
Would you swap a new GTV6 for it in preference ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

The current model GTV V6 is a nice car, but doesn't really float my boat. Given the Mito should be cheaper than the GTV V6, I'd take the Mito.

I suspect you mean comparing it to a hypothetical time warp 'NEW' 198X GTV6. I would think that in every measurable aspect the Mito GTA would wipe the floor with it. So if it was about driving (as opposed to having some sort of concorse queen) I would take the Mito.

Upping the ante, if it was about comparing the Mito GTA to the highest possible spec GTV6 - say 3.2 24V GTA spec engine, big brakes, coil-overs, close ratio box, etc... well then yes I'd take the GTV6 - but that car is $100K to build so not really a fair fight.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Post by Zagato »

Why is this discussion under performance?

Zagato :shock:
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Does it really matter if it has taken 7 pages to ask that question?

Any traffic on this site must be better than none - which looks to be the alternative at the moment :roll:
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Post by Zagato »

I agree, but maybe under a thread called future Alfas or similar?

Zagato
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

To relieve the boredom of my current study habits, I run alot.

And I ran past a Gunmetal GT 3.2 the other day and thought, "my oh my if you were a RWD with a 3.7, that handled sweetly and had a drivetrain that could take some punishing, I would be quite a happy man to have your keys"

Anyone for some E36 driveline bits and turning the engine longitudinally?

You'd have a fair bit of cutting to do in order to get a tailshaft and diff in there. But I guess, that's basically the Alfa I would love to own.

If it weighed no more than 1350kg and cost abou 50-60k. 70 is the stretch too far. Then again, Nissan get the 350z out for that much. But they're a good car. Great fun, if a bit porky.

I believe that Alfa are possibly entering the spiral that forced them out of Australia in the early 90s, but good and properly from a worldwide perspective. From someone who worked high up, I understand that they were unwilling to sacrifice profit to sell the cars at a reasonable price. Consequently, the product offered- 75 3.0Q and TS, 33 16v and 4wd and 164Q, were not as sorted, well built, or as well priced as their competitors.

Yes the new cars are good value on paper, but they are not built as well as Jap offerings costing less with better dynamics, and subsequently, german offerings costing more, with less standard kit sell more prolifically.

All that makes the resale sheeeiite, and once burnt, you wouldn't go back for more.

I know of many a 156 or 147 owner that said the selespeed was forever in the shop with a problem. They can't seriously expect people to buy their cars with loyalty if they forever do that!

Hope the Mito GTA is a properly good hatch. And whatever the 159s replacement, it had better be something of a cracker with no excuses. The 159 is nearly there from a friend who just traded his in (on an R32 Golf- divorced). They need to lose some weight.

Oops. Still love my GTV.

My rant for the week!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

May be forced to eat my own words if FIAT can secure funding to buy out GM as Obama has hinted that bailout may not be forthcoming.

WOuldn't that be tops? FIAT with GMs manufacturing capacity. We may see some intersting stuff.
Fixing it bit by bit....
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

The hookup is between Fiat and Chrysler, not GM.

Why Fiat wants to do this is still a mystery to me. By reading the US Government report on Chrysler it seems as if they have NO assets worth saving.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

OOOhh, no assets.Wow that could be painful. Oh sorry, that aggotts. Too early in the day.. :oops: :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

They have dealers all over the US I presume? Not having to set up a dealer network would save a lot of time when Fiat decide to go into the US market.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I just can't wait for the new model from this marriage.

A Chrysler hemi pumping in the front. A Fiat (rustfree) floor pan and an Alfa shell and door handles.

Rumour has it , it will be called a CRYFA. Put your orders in now !! Get'em while they're hot. :D
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

MD wrote:I just can't wait for the new model from this marriage.

A Chrysler hemi pumping in the front. A Fiat (rustfree) floor pan and an Alfa shell and door handles.

Rumour has it , it will be called a CRYFA. Put your orders in now !! Get'em while they're hot. :D
Some days I worry about you Mad Dog. Is that a didgery doo or a bloody big piece pipe :P :P :P :P
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Mats wrote:They have dealers all over the US I presume? Not having to set up a dealer network would save a lot of time when Fiat decide to go into the US market.
Yes they do. Alfa tried to sell through them in the early 1990s before they left the US market. The cultural gap was too great and sales suffered even further.

Also, dealers in the US are independent operations (not owned by the car manufacturer). Getting all (or most) staff members at all (or most) dealers to whole-heartly agree to sell Alfas is a long shot. Meaning the franchise owner may agree but the sales staff and service staff must want to as well. And if they don't are you going to fire them and jeopardize your Chyrsler sales and service operations?

From a dealer perspective I think selling Alfas through BMW or MINI dealers is a better idea commecially. The cultural gap is less and they will understand customer expectations better.

As for Chrysler factories, they would need to be completely retooled to build Alfas so all you are getting really is the land and the buildings.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Chrysler's design house is pretty good...they were able to cut the idea to production time down alot (cut 3-4 years off the process).

I think that dealership staff may be willing to sell Alfas and Fiats ..... otherwise they will have no job because the company will go bellly up.

American mass production techniques could be benificial to Fiat.

Still seems an odd coupling tho...
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR