Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Build pics of my alfa gtv6, its finished! Video-25th Oct 08

Post by Mats »

I didn't say it didn't work but to use it as a datum is not a good idea. Quite expensive too if you don't happen to have a CNC-milling machine too.

You didn't think I meant this thread is on the wall of shame did you? :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Dyno numbers are a fair guide but at the end of the day mean squat.

I suggest a match race for a carton 8)

John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

The worst thing about having a toy like this, is every time you drive it, you just can't help but have little samples of that sirupy smooth torque :wink: . It's addictive and you don't grow out of it in a hurry.

Nice work BTW :mrgreen:
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Mats that was wrong emoticon I hit. Anyway whats wrong with computer gas flow simulations? Explain politely :P
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I don't want to hijack this thread but put simply the flow in their simulations are static, i.e. they flow continously in all six runners. In an engine you have a lot of start/stop flow and pulsations going on because the valves open and close, this makes their static flow simulations completely wrong.
If you have tons of experience you might see some stuff in a static simulations and maybe can predict what that will mean in the real world but most of us don't have that and therefore it is quite useless. :?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thx :!: But the guy started with real audi turbo plenums as inspiration. OK, no more OT's here however it would be really iteresting to listen (read?) some even theoretical discussion on this stuff methinks :)
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

In person duels...? Your in Brisney-land!!

Does this mean your heading down on a interstate trip..?
Could do some mad video...would love to see the backs of two gtv'6's about to launch down the qtr...or the both of us play follow the leader on a freeway..? To the speed limit of course... :roll: :shock: :lol:

Ok just done a quick scroll through rest of replys....Dyno i dont give a hoot about honestly, even more so now that after other cars i've been in, this is demonic, HP numbers are quite irrelevant, for this car puts the power down so easily it just drives so nice......i mean sirrupy!! Love that word, check mate on that one, cheers DUK! :D

Mats, not only are you a serial thread jacker, you havent said anything nice in regards to my thread at all... and everyone else has!!! I will say just one thing...the guy doing my car has been building and working on turbocharged cars for over 35yrs, so if he says the plenum is restricting, it restricting, engine is making more power than you think, that video does it no justice at all.

Also the guys who were kind enough to fly interstate to work on my car(Adaptronic)with all of their diagnostic equipment, having it on the dyno could see and tell the plenum was and is retricting. I'm not being rude to you Mats, just stating the facts.

Thankyou all for your constructive and basically heart warming replys.

Patzo i'll be at Spectaccolo, what car you driving so i can say hi if i see you..?
If i dont see you, make sure you come and say hi!! :)

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

It's a 75, but either way, it would be fun! I've been planning on doing a little road tripping down for a decent event (Alfesta, Spettacolo, Auto Italia) and meeting up with some fellow demonised Alfas. :twisted:

I'll be sure to let you know if I do head south. Alternatively, come up and discover this magical thing we call "sunshine" :lol:

ROCK ON
R~R
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

GarthW wrote:

Mats, not only are you a serial thread jacker, you havent said anything nice in regards to my thread at all... and everyone else has!!! I will say just one thing...the guy doing my car has been building and working on turbocharged cars for over 35yrs, so if he says the plenum is restricting, it restricting, engine is making more power than you think, that video does it no justice at all.

Also the guys who were kind enough to fly interstate to work on my car(Adaptronic)with all of their diagnostic equipment, having it on the dyno could see and tell the plenum was and is retricting. I'm not being rude to you Mats, just stating the facts.
Communications breakdown?

I'm sorry I haven't commented on your car but I just havent had the time to read through this massive thread, just bits & pieces. There is a video in there somewhere I gather from the subject but for some reason I haven't checked it out. I'll do that and post a comment.

Now, as far as your engine builder goes I can't remember commenting on that at all? All I did was to comment that a thread on another forum (240Z?) linked in this thread was a bit misdirected in the effort/gain ratio...
I have no idea about your plenum and your engine guy, I guess you're about to make a new one?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ok, read the whole thing.

Good Job Sir! :D

I see you have spent a lot of hours doing all the dirty boring jobs too and not only the fun parts (bolting go-fast parts to the car). True sign of character...

Don't worry, there will be a thread on my build too soon for you to rate. :wink:
I just don't have the nerve for long build threads any more so I'm dumping it all in one go instead. 8)

In the mean time I'm looking forward to some highway video, Kowalski style. :twisted:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Garth, I really would not change that plenum. I was running 50kw more and ohers here are running 100kw (front mount box) more so its not a restriction. Your restriction will be your box and clutch which you will learn take out blinfolded because its going to happen often. Im not trying to discourage you at all but I got really despondant with all the breakages from the huge torque. The car sat on jacks more time than it was on road. Enjoy car and put your new skills in prop cages and heavy clutch design. That will cure 80% of your problems.
Cheers
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ok, Kevin & Mats thankyou both.
Damn ok, if Plenum is not restricting, how come it lifts an inch from its rubbers..?
Or that just normal..? But great to hear though, sweet as.

Yes your right, clutch's i know i will go through, i'm getting a 2way quaif lsd next year, what gearbox would you guys suggest i use to handle all the wild horses..?

Oh Kevin, what is a prop cage..? :oops:

Yo Rookie, you coming down for Specctacolo later this month..?

As far as Brisbane goes, i've already lived there! And more north than that!! :D

Try Melbourne, 4 seasons in one day!! :roll: :P :lol: :shock:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

GarthW wrote:Ok, Kevin & Mats thankyou both.
Damn ok, if Plenum is not restricting, how come it lifts an inch from its rubbers..?
Or that just normal..? But great to hear though, sweet as.
Because you have 6x~40mm cross section with 1.5 bar trying to lift it? Like a baloon it expands with pressure.
With your logic, wouldn't it be the intake runners that was restrictive? 8) (Not saying they are...)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I agree with Mats, the plenum starts to rise as a result of pressure, not any flow restriction. The pressure also tries to blow apart all the couplings at the intercooler and other connections.

You can make a strap to lock down the plenum, but the rubber couplers will still tend to leak boost. The turbo guys don't really notice this because the turbine simply speeds up to keep boost pressure in the plenum the same. I know these things leak because with a supercharged engine I can see it on the boost gauge. I really think silicone couplers and quality clamps are the solution here.

It's probable that the plenum's outlets and the intake runners are restrictive in your application. I doubt that the entire plenum is the problem.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Garth, even the intakes on my diesel vans pop off iff the clamps are not on. You must fasten plenum as it will come off. I posted pics on the other thread of the plenum tied down. Look on budget ace car you will see ics of prop cage or go to the scuderiadelbiscione web site under parts(in french ), bulid pics of 24v.
At the moment we are trying to make a full race box from scratch with the chap who makes the touring car boxes here. Still in development stage but it will not break, something like Julian Birley race 75 box.(huge crown and pinion).
Do some reading and searching.