Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Build pics of my alfa gtv6, its finished! Video-25th Oct 08

Post by Greg Gordon »

The car looks and sounds great in that video. Is it a 3.0 or a 2.5? I think you were smart to go with forced induction over a 24 valver. More power with a lot less moving parts.

One bar of boost is a lot on a 3.0. I have only gone up to about .51 bar on the 3.0 and .68 on the 2.5, although I will try some higher numbers soon.

Greg
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

fantastic. :D from here on in no matter what happens to the car you can always say that you built a alfa v6 turbo. congratulations!
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
hardalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by hardalfa »

You're car is beatifull and it inspires me and others who are wanting to build something similar.Congratulations .
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

wow garth,nice work!!
it is a real pain to achieve it, but the result makes you forget everything!
enjoy it :lol:
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Well what can I say, this won't be too original... Congratulations mate! What about the tranny, aren't you afraid of those wild Nm's you've bolted on to your gtv6? :wink:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Wow guys thankyou! Great surprise logging on and seeing lots of replys!! :)

Hey Greg, its only a 2.5, still running standard fuel pump, so it will have to go once i run 1bar. Remember exhaust is 3" all the way from turbo to tip.
That vid was only slight throttle, just revved it to 3000rpm in 2nd gear and braked before speed hump, and yeah my brake lights werent working either lol.

Again the torque its making is crazy.
Took a friend of mine for a spin yesterday, he owns a boosted Nissan with an SR20 in it, basically he couldnt how much it pulled, in third gear you need alot of road to really stretch its legs...the funny thing is, its not even tuned right yet, still taking it easy for it isnt run in yet.

Oh standard driveline is loving it....for now, but drive it right, it shall reward!!!
My new rule of thumb with this car....no hitting boost in the wet!

Back soon!!

Regards,
G

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Well done Garth. Im sure this will be the first of many projects. You can do this means you can do any conversion on a GTV as this is the hardest. Interested to see more pics of the heat shielding you used as its bit to bright on one of the pics. What have you done on front coupling at this stage ? Stay away fom wet roads is good advice.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hi Kevin, and to the rest thankyou for the kind words. After it taking so long, it felt very surreal, the first couple of days i would be opening the bonnett once parked at home and just looking at everything and thinking damn, i've done it.
Yeah your right i cant wait to do another single turbo V6, i'm absolutley gobsmacked with the power delivery, i pulled onto a freeway yesterday for the first time, and lightly, and i mean lightly stepping on pedal i went from 80 to 130 so easily, i was shocked when i looked at speedo, car is only running 4psi and i'm peaking with what its going to do at 1bar.
Front coupling is new, but of course will be getting upgraded later.

I have an in-car video which is still uploading on the youtube site,
(70% atm) just a quick run through a side street, only taking her a little past 3000rpm, gives you an idea what taking her to redline on alot higher boost would be like, and of course bov is wound up for aural excitment.
Ok its done, got a feeling it hasnt worked though...?
But if it has...enjoy!! :D I did! :P :shock:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wTBLdR1LmBU

Oh quick edit....my digital cam although destroyed, i will try get some more pics in soon, i have to borrow the cam again soon. :roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Great stuff Garth :!:
Personally never have liked turbo Alfa's but after following your build I am sure I will have one in my garage in the near future :?
Good work
John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Wow thankyou gtv6 GP, to think i've been one to bring inspiration! :D

Well i have to say afew things about this...and i'm not just saying this because its my car or anything, but i've been in alot of performance cars, with more power, etc, etc, but the chassis of the gtv6 has welcomed the extra HP with open arms, it handles it brillantly, the sound of the engine is deep and resonates, the car has been lightened a great deal, and you feel it, you dont have to rev it hard, it seems to be all about the torque more so with this now.

So what i'm basically trying to say is...out of all the cars i've been in, this is just amazing, and you will love it if you build something like this. I can drive around under 3000rpm and it seems to stretch the fuel abit further, cruising speeds are at lower rpm's now, but as soon as you step on it, it unleashes hell, not even giving you any idea of what is about to happen at a lower speed, giving away nothing till you boot it. There are no heating issues, car just behaves like it did when it was atmo, but you know you have an ace up your sleeve. In the in-car video you dont really notice, but after the quick 3rd gear stab, i'm on the brakes instantly, even more so round that last little corner in 2nd, damn car always pops out of there!! :evil:

Even though there are no official power figures as yet, i 've got an idea for my friends wrx is putting out 160kw, mine destroys it on 4psi, so maybe i've got around 170-180kw @flywheel on 4psi. Or even lower kw's, but greater torque.

And remember there's a heap more fuel to take out, ignition timing is very conservative, and its only running one coil. Plenum chamber is actually restricting now, so will be chopping one and joining 2 together early next year.

Anyway glad you enjoyed the vid, a better one which will be fun to watch will be filmed sometime soon, just mapping out a perfect spot... :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Give yourself some extra credit, a 160kw in a WRX is between all four wheels, so greater drivetrain loss in comparison to the GTV6.

It's great to see you finally got it going. Makes me so much more eager (and now that I'll have time) to get into the shed and get mine sorted. Then you'll have some competition on the road :wink: :lol:

ROCK ON
R~R
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

GarthW wrote:
Plenum chamber is actually restricting now, so will be chopping one and joining 2 together early next year.
I think this may be helpful for you:
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127863

I even thought of putting it in performance forum, but that's probably well known stuff by our turbo gurus here :oops:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

PietereQ wrote:
GarthW wrote:
Plenum chamber is actually restricting now, so will be chopping one and joining 2 together early next year.
I think this may be helpful for you:
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127863

I even thought of putting it in performance forum, but that's probably well known stuff by our turbo gurus here :oops:

That thread is in the "hall of shame" at work. 8)
Static analysis in an otto-engine environment is completely useless to be honest. Shun it like the plague. :evil:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Aha Wicked Rookie! Shall we compare dyno numbers once yours is sorted..? :D

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

I think some in person duels may be more in order :lol:

ROCK ON
R~R