Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mats wrote:
JimGreek wrote: We all know what happens after the wife in high heels and your friends push-start the car.... :lol: :lol: :oops:
Jim K.
The light stalk release the magic white smoke? :roll:
Not the stalk, in my case it was the dashboard light rheostat.
Dr. Alban
Cassin
Silver
Silver

Starter relay: How to do it?

Post by Cassin »

I wonder if someone might explain - for a mechanical neophyte - how to install a relay for the starter?
'86 GTV6
Cassin
Silver
Silver

Starter relay: How to do it?

Post by Cassin »

I wonder if someone might explain - for a mechanical neophyte - how to install a relay for the starter?
'86 GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Cassin,

I get a bit dispondent when I see self help electrical posts by owners who by their own admission do not know anything about it. Rest assured that you are not the first and you wont be the last judging by history.

The reason is that the electrical system in our cars (and ever increasingly so) is one (if not THE most complex) system that makes it run and do what it has to do. Yet everybody has this burning desire to have a finger poke to sort it out.

To have reasonable general knowledge of cars and electrical systems and then seeking specific peculiarities of behaviour about a part or a model to get a lead to fixing the problem is fine. The enquirer just needs a little pointer from others who have experienced the problem. This is not the case from someone who knows nothing about it but who can get into more strife than its worth. Even professional people in the trade consult each other for clues to unfamiliar problems.

What I am getting at here is that if you want to learn about mechanics, you almost need a second (similar) car which you can pull apart and refit everypart to your heart's content because it doesn't matter if you get it wrong. It's ALL about the learning.

On the other hand, if this car is your only ride and you finger poke and get it wrong, it could cost you your job or whatever you need it for while somone else sorts out the mess.

Ultimately my simple advice to you is this if it is your only ride:-

Get a qualified auto electrician to:-
1 Replace your ingnition switch.
2 Install a relay to your solenoid(technically the solenoid IS the relay for the starter already).
3 Clean and check all the grounds in your circuits.
4 Clean all the fuses and retention all the contacts
5 Test your charging circuits and alternator belt tension
6 Do a battery discharge test to see if it produces sufficient amperage for a good crank from your starter motor.

Caasin, can you see now that there is always more to the picture than you think? Sorry about the lecture, but if you think about, I am just really and honestly trying to help you in an EFFECTIVE way and maybe avert a future electrical fire or worse.

BTW As an aside, your specific question should really be in the electrical topic set.

Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Cassin
Silver
Silver

My question ...

Post by Cassin »

Dear MD,

Thanks for your suggestons, and I apologize if my question generated dispondence or discomfort of any sort.

First ... allow me to point out that my qustion regarding the installation of a relay in the starter circuit was part of a fairly long thread specifically on the topic of installing relays for the starter. Thus, I disagree that it was posted in the wrong topic area. It was where it was, and I didn't start the thread, but was its 16th post.

Perhaps I shouldn't have modestly self-classified myself as a "mechanical neophyte", but compared to Mats and some of the other regulars on the Forum who have sophisticated engineering credentials and/or who race seriously, I am just that, although as an old (67) California hot-rodder who has been rebuilding engines and tinkering with sports cars of various sorts for 50+ years, along with some SCCA racing, I'm not totally ignorant technically. And I do as much of my own (minor) work on my '86 GTV6 as time - and skill - permit.

I just wanted some guidance with regard to how to install a relay in the starter circuit as a preventative measure ... as recommended by several of those who posted to this thread.

Thanks again,

Cassin
'86 GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I see. That makes for a somewhat different perspective. Please refer to my PM.

Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Kevin over on the AlfaBB did a write-up of that exact task on the Milano:
http://www.alfamilano.com/articles/mila ... ilano.html

I suppose the GTV6 should be similar.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Cassin
Silver
Silver

Article on adding a relay to the starter circuit

Post by Cassin »

Jes,

Thanks for the link to Kevin's article. It is PRECISELY what I needed. An excellent how-to piece.

Cassin
'86 GTV6